PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other good C&D burley based or burley as a condiment blends include the English blends Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall. Bayou Night, Mountain Camp (same tobaccos as Bayou Night in different proportions), and Billy Budd with cigar leaf.

Their Dark Burley is also a good one. C&D prompted pipe smokers to reconsider burley as the base of, or condiment in, premium blends, so their entire menu of blends has many of these offered.

Other good burley blends are Peterson's 3-P and Irish Flake, Amphora's Burley, Semois thick and medium cut (a Belgium burley variant), and so many others. Just window shop through the tobacco pages of SP and read the specifications on blends and you will find plenty more. Look at Sutliff, Newminster, Lane Limited, Uhl, Ohm, and so on.

I'm a burley devotee, but I like Virginia, Va/Per, and other genres, but my liking of burley has saved me from burn-out on Latakia, among other standard condiment leaf.

Some of the pouch and tub (so-called codger or over-the-counter blends) will likely appeal to you, but probably not all of them. These include Granger, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and Aromatic, and Half-and-Half.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Welcome to the winning team. If HB was enjoyable to you, I recommend other Runowski blends such as Pegasus and Old Joe Krantz. You like Granger, so give Boswell's Old School a shot. It's like a gourmet take on Prince Albert. If you are looking for something bold, try a blend with some Dark Fire Kentucky in it. Mac Baren Dark Fired is a fine choice.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Ok, if you like HB (one of my favorites too), check out Petite Robin. Like HB, it's a strong burley with a little extra. Unlike HB, it's a shag cut which is always fun to work with. For that daily smoke like Carter Hall, check out Sutliff's matches for old codger blends. I have found Ready Rub, Revelation, and Field and Stream matches to scratch the same itch Carter Hall does, and sometimes better.

May 29, 2023
Washington
Carter hall is one of those burleys that that has a mellow sweet taste, which is more the type of burley I gravitate towards. I think it’s because of the small amount of Virginia added. For similar blends I would recommend:
-PS41 cube cut
-amphora burley
-golden extra
-john cottons double pressed burley

Other good burley blends I like are
-C&D’s Redburn
-sir Walter Raleigh aro
-HH burley flake
-la Brumeuse
-sutliff RR match

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
So many good oness. Cobblestone Hiking, G&H Burley and Bright and Pegasus are my go-to Burley smokes. I've been smoking Oak Alley more as well, which has Burley in it. And as mentioned above, MB Golden Extra and HH Burley Flake are fine blends. If you can find it, G&H No. 7 Broken Flake and Wessex Burley Slices are really great blends as well. Lastly, I enjoy LJ Perretti's Burley blends.

I need smoke these blends more than I do. I love Burley but subconsciously always reach for a VaPer

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I like Mac Baren's Burleys such as Golden Extra, Symphony and Burley London Blend when available. They are really, really good with their Burleys.
Then there's Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake - when you can get them.