PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have two high end Peterson pipes that my late Wife bought me that have burn outs within the bowl, they have been in storage for a few years and only noticed the hot spots lately and you can only return them to Peterson for a burn out within a year of purchase. Does anyone know if there is a filler that can be used to fill the burn holes ? I have been smoking Petersons for 50 years and never had this problem, a bad batch of briar or bad workmanship ? I don't know but I would love the save these pipes.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have two high end Peterson pipes that my late Wife bought me that have burn outs within the bowl, they have been in storage for a few years and only noticed the hot spots lately and you can only return them to Peterson for a burn out within a year of purchase. Does anyone know if there is a filler that can be used to fill the burn holes ? I have been smoking Petersons for 50 years and never had this problem, a bad batch of briar or bad workmanship ? I don't know but I would love the save these pipes.
I am sure people will give you great advice on filling them and bringing new life to them, but if they were mine and had that much sentimental value (which i think is awesome really awesome) and let's face it could afford it, i would send them out to someone like Rich and have them professional done.

Obviously it depends on the burnouts and all, pics might help the guys here, many of whom do restorations, give you proper advice.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I am sure people will give you great advice on filling them and bringing new life to them, but if they were mine and had that much sentimental value (which i think is awesome really awesome) and let's face it could afford it, i would send them out to someone like Rich and have them professional done.

Obviously it depends on the burnouts and all, pics might help the guys here, many of whom do restorations, give you proper advice.
I'm in the UK, I have always worked on my own pipes but never had a burn out in 50 years so I would be grateful for suggestions of fillers, if there is such a thing, I know they use putty for filling pits in the outer Briar but have never heard of a internal filler to withstand the heat.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm in the UK, I have always worked on my own pipes but never had a burn out in 50 years so I would be grateful for suggestions of fillers, if there is such a thing, I know they use putty for filling pits in the outer Briar but have never heard of a internal filler to withstand the heat.
Oh so it's not burnout all the way through yet, I still will leave it to others but I'm going to guess pack it with pipe mud and smooth it down. Let's watch and see if I'm even close to correct, shall we? :D

Might be worth asking a mod to move this to Pipe Repair, it might get more traction there.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Geoff Watson of Cambridge Pipe Repairs does excellent work.
PM me if you would like his address

I have used JB Weld with a layer of pipe mud over it on an over-reamed pipe

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Depending on location and size it's sometimes possible to drill out/remove the burned area, thread the healthy wood around it, and fill the hole with a threaded briar plug.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
as far as my understanding burnout can kind of just happen. Only had it once in one pipe. It's the whole it's a natural product that rest slightly outside of our control. Though I also understand that a pipe prone to massive burn out might be something a carver should and could notice. But I also suspect that age and storage condition can effect things too. Either way wouldn't blame the maker or the smoker with out more evidence.

Reactions: tobakenist

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
as far as my understanding burnout can kind of just happen. ... It's the whole it's a natural product that rest slightly outside of our control. ... Either way wouldn't blame the maker or the smoker with out more evidence.

This is exactly the case.

Dunhill was as picky as any mass producer has ever been regarding wood quality in the "fundamentally sound" sense, but still offered a one year replacement guarantee in case there was a hidden soft spot that couldn't be detected.

It's why they started dating all finished pipes, and would update the stamp when a specimen was shipped late.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The burnouts are not to bad and would be hard to photograph, I only noticed because of hotspots on the exterior while smoking and I don't want them to get any worse, the pipe mortar method looks like the best way and have ordered the components to do this, if it doesn't work I will try the fire cement method, I already have a pot of this as we have a open fire, should have thought of this, many thanks for all the suggestions and the concern for my two pipes. I am not without a pipe as I have a large collection gathered over 50 years of pipe smoking, as I have said this is my first ever experience of burnouts although I have read about it happening, again, many thanks.

Reactions: Browny and MattRVA

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
as far as my understanding burnout can kind of just happen. Only had it once in one pipe. It's the whole it's a natural product that rest slightly outside of our control. Though I also understand that a pipe prone to massive burn out might be something a carver should and could notice. But I also suspect that age and storage condition can effect things too. Either way wouldn't blame the maker or the smoker with out more evidence.
I have a newer Savinelli 614 that's showing all the signs of burnout right under the draft hole. I didn't treat this differently from my other pipes, as they say, burnout happens. Luckily it's not one of my favorites and not the greatest of smokers. I'll probably retire it instead of attempting a fix.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is exactly the case.

Dunhill was as picky as any mass producer has ever been regarding wood quality in the "fundamentally sound" sense, but still offered a one year replacement guarantee in case there was a hidden soft spot that couldn't be detected.

It's why they started dating all finished pipes, and would update the stamp when a specimen was shipped late.
I feel like this is a first. Seriously I saw that you replied to this and thought oh man I got it wrong again.