PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I've not been big on stocking up on CD blends - not sure why. May be the comic strip names & artwork. At any rate, I'm about to take advantage of SP's sale and try a number of C&D blends to see what's what. Common denominator to these is that all are supposed to be a little more stout blends.
So, here are the ones I've decided upon - like to get some input as to whether to keep any, remove any and particularly suggestions on any to be added to the list.
Engine 99, Orient Express, Bayou Night, Billy Budd, Bow Legged Bear, Mississippi Mud.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'm not big on C&D myself, but mainly because I'm not big on burley (has to be condimental to a VA base for me, not the other way around). True, they've got some great VA offerings e.g. Opening Night, but I'm also not a fan of the packaging, and this issue also extends to GLP, obviously. I've got a tin of Canal Boat from 2016 that's got such a deep bulge going, it looks more like a football than a tobacco can, and I just know that one night, at like 3 am, it's going to pop like an M-80 and scare the shit out of me and my wife as we sleep. And to quote The Dude, as is the trend lately, this aggression will not stand, this unchecked aggression...

All that aside, if you're looking for stout blends, C&D is certainly a great place to start.

• Haha
Reactions: proteus

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
If you like stout English blends, try Joie de Vivre. Bold, smooth, & creamy. Byzantium is a pretty heavy on the lat too, but you can get it in bulk for cheaper.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Love me some Bayou Night , and everyone should at least try Pegasus and one I don't hear about that much but has a really nice balance is Orion's Arrow, if you want a 50/50 VaPer try Exclusive. As someone mentioned a Lat Bomb that would be Pirate Kake.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Burley blends are C&D's speciality and they tend to be regarded as the go-to blending house for many Burley enthusiasts, so I'd give Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus a try if you haven't yet. Autumn Evening is definitely worth a go as well, even if you're someone who doesn't usually care for aromatics. It's not wet or goopy at all, it's quite dry and smokes like a non-aromatic, and since it's made entirely from Red Virginia tobaccos it is rather stoute on the palate and provides a good strong Red Virginia flavor that melds beautifully with the maple topping.

For me, C&D were king of burley back when McClellands wore the crown for Virginias. But, since McClellands has closed, the only company that makes a Virginia that is just pure tobacco flavor is C&D. So, they are now my king of Virginias. But, I get it... they still do have more burley blends. I just don't have any interest in buying European Virginias (or tobaccos) at all anymore.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Love me some Bayou Night , and everyone should at least try Pegasus and one I don't hear about that much but has a really nice balance is Orion's Arrow, if you want a 50/50 VaPer try Exclusive. As someone mentioned a Lat Bomb that would be Pirate Kake.
+1 for Pegasus..although the only reason I didn't add it to my original list was b/c it appeared OP was only putting up English Blends.