PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you ever wondered what difference proportions of tobaccos makes in tuning and tweaking a blend, and you like English blends in the Scottish tradition, you might enjoy a bulk one-ounce baggie each of C&D's Bayou Night and Mountain Camp.

They both have the same menu of tobaccos -- Latakia, Perique, Virginia, Turkish, and burley. And they both are described as having the same strength, although Bayou Night tastes stronger to me. But Bayout Night is rich in Latakia, and Mountain Camp is rich in Perique.

This adjustment was the suggestion of a customer, and C&D followed through with it to give two surprisingly distinct blends. Bayou Night, by name, is put forward as a heavy end-of-evening smoke, where as Mountain Camp is more of an all-day smoke, by concept anyway.

I find them both enjoyable any time I am in the mood for either. But I am also intrigued by what a difference there is in the adjustment of the proportions of just two of five tobaccos. And for me, of course, the presence of burley in both gives them special appeal.

It's intriguing how subtle adjustments make entirely different blends, something to remember in putting together your own mixes at home as well.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I really enjoy Bayou Night, I had originally picked it up after enjoying Bayou Morning, and seeing that the Night version was a Latakia blend.

I’ll have to grab some Mountain Camp and give it a shot. I’m surprised I hadn’t found that one yet. I like Perique forward blends.

Poplar camp is another one that I’ve enjoyed.

Reactions: vosBghos