Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind latakia, but I'm also not loading up my cellar on latakia blends.... at the moment. If there were something different or unique about this one, I would have already pulled the trigger.
So far, nothing has been said that would attract me... like a pretty girl, pretending to read a book to keep us from talking to her.

But, I'm sure that since it's a small batch, it'll eventually sell out.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
It's almost definitely a re-release.

Judging by the picture it looks like there will be a limited run of ~7,000 tins, if I remember correctly, the original was a show-only run of like 500 or something. I've not been lucky enough to try any myself, but I remember reading it's a C&D interpretation of something like McClelland's Super Balkan.

How they keep selling increasingly larger numbers of "small batch" and "limited" blends is beyond me.

EDIT: another point of curiosity, they've listed *Cypriot* Latakia instead of Cyprian as a key ingredient... I wonder what the distinction is there.
I have a feeling that the small batches are made with some of the tobaccos they bought from McClelland.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Picked up a few tins as soon as it dropped last night. I missed out on this years Sun Bear so I thought I’d jump on this. I know you shouldn’t judge a blend by it’s art…but I’m really digging the tin art on this one.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
How they keep selling increasingly larger numbers of "small batch" and "limited" blends is beyond me.

FOMO marketing is an anathema to pipe smoking, which we generally tend to think of as a patient and mindful hobby, rather than one subject to this type of hype. Unfortunately there is a portion of the pipe smoking market that eats up this type of stuff, the worst offenders being those chasing Esoterica blends. I've seen groups on social media where they refer to all Esoterica blends as "the gold" and will buy ANY of them they can find.

In the bourbon world, they call the bourbon-drinking equivalent of these people "taters" based on the internet slang insult "potato" meaning a gullible person of very low intelligence.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
FOMO marketing is an anathema to pipe smoking, which we generally tend to think of as a patient and mindful hobby, rather than one subject to this type of hype. Unfortunately there is a portion of the pipe smoking market that eats up this type of stuff, the worst offenders being those chasing Esoterica blends. I've seen groups on social media where they refer to all Esoterica blends as "the gold" and will buy ANY of them they can find.

In the bourbon world, they call the bourbon-drinking equivalent of these people "taters" based on the internet slang insult "potato" meaning a gullible person of very low intelligence.
If I wasn't such a "tater", I would infer that you are calling a lot of us "gullible and of very low intelligence".

It must be so cool to be smart enough to be above marketing hype.

Jun 23, 2019
I ordered 3, then a handful of other blends to hit my Free Shipping.
I'm such a sucker...

They got me on the hook for a few tins too! :ROFLMAO:

- - -

If you're talking about investment groups on social media then I 100% agree with this assessment. Buying Esoterica blends at retail price is probably better than gold right now.

*This as well as my OP you replied to was somewhat tongue in cheek, I probably should've specified my sarcasm.

- - -

If I wasn't such a "tater", I would infer that you are calling a lot of us "gullible and of very low intelligence".

To be fair, it is though. Funny how bulk packaging of the same blends don't sell nearly as well without the mythological blurb and alluring tin art.

That said, slap a fat, shiny whale on a tin and I'll pay you anything you want for it.

Wait... so I am confused... did smart people buy it, or did smart people not buy it? I'm trying to figure out what I am. puffy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

There is a distinction between trying something because you're genuinely interested, and trying it because you get FOMO'd into it.

It's really more an issue of self-control and general emotional continence rather than one of intelligence. If you find yourself impulse buying stuff you weren't planning on buying just because it's a "limited time only, buy today!" type thing, then I've got some bad news on that front...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Wait... so I am confused... did smart people buy it, or did smart people not buy it? I'm trying to figure out what I am. puffy

So are the authorities and the rest of us for that matter puffy

I kid, I kid. All I'm getting at is that FOMO type "limited time only! " marketing is unscrupulous. Buy hey, if you have decided on your own accord that you want a limited release tobacco, sales tactics aside, then by all means go for it.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
There is a distinction between trying something because you're genuinely interested, and trying it because you get FOMO'd into it.

It's really more an issue of self-control and general emotional continence rather than one of intelligence. If you find yourself impulse buying stuff you weren't planning on buying just because it's a "limited time only, buy today!" type thing, then I've got some bad news on that front...
I guess it's the "tater" in me, but I don't know what FOMO means:

I"m sure there are plenty like me here that buy some of the limited releases and pass on others - depending on if the blend sounds good. I'm also sure that there are plenty of other blends very similar and just as good as these. So much of tobacco buying is the "marketing": the tin art, the description, the rarity.
I'm not sure what "self-control" has to do with anything. I don't want "self-control" in these cases, I like to make impulsive, visceral decissicions. At the end of the day, were not buying a new car or some major purchasing decision. These are $12 tins of tobacco. Maybe the tobacco lives up to the hype and the story, but maybe it doesn't - not a big deal either way, but it is much more FUN For ME then just buying another tin of Nitecap etc.

I dig the limited releases largely due to the hype around them. It's FUN! I like the story they tell, I like the description of the (perhaps) rarer/older tobacco components. I like to support the energy and creativity that the blenders put into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.