PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
My tobacco blend experience is still pretty low as I haven't tried many as of yet. In light of SP's sale on C&D blends what does everyone consider the staple C&D blends that every pipe smoker should try?

Reactions: UncleRasta
Tobaccoreviews.com

Type in Cornell and Diehl and you will get a listing of all their tobacco along with candid reviews from the learned and amateur alike. A Plethora of information along with rating scores.

Anyway, That's what I do. Well, what I did. Now I just read Jim's reviews (jiminks) and pretty much form an opinion at that point. :) . Saves me a lot of time.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Type in Cornell and Diehl and you will get a listing of all their tobacco along with candid reviews from the learned and amateur alike. A Plethora of information along with rating scores.
If you click on the top of said rating column, it will sort them from high to low rating for you. It's handy as hell. And yes, JimInks accounts for like 50% of my decision making, haha.

Reactions: tg51 and sandollars

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Tobaccoreviews.com

Anyway, That's what I do. Well, what I did. Now I just read Jim's reviews (jiminks) and pretty much form an opinion at that point. :) . Saves me a lot of time.

+1 on this. Tobacco reviews has helped me make some of my choices starting off.

I would personally recommend "Dreams of Kadath" or "Mad Fiddler Flake" From C&Ds Old Ones series. As you might tell by my signature bellow, I am an H.P. Lovecraft fan and that's the inspiration for "The old ones" series. If you like strong aromatics maybe try Visions of Celephias, It's like a spicy mulled wine.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
@alaskanpiper
I have about 9 saved in my cart right now. I also combed through tobaccoreviews but I just want to gather some more information too.
@sandollars
I also skipped through until I saw Jiminks reviews, as well as pipestuds

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Of the tinned stuff, you can't go wrong with 5:00 Shadow and Kajun Kake if you like perique. If you like VA, check out the Simply Elegant series flakes, especially Opening Night and Sunday Picnic. Most the C&D blends I smoke are still a better deal in bulk, even with this tin sale.

Reactions: litup and tg51

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I went down my spreadsheet for rating the blends I’ve tried, and the C&D blends keep getting rated lower than others. I don’t know why that is. All my first impressions are fresh out of the tin, so maybe they all need to sit for 6 months.

The only one I thought worth reordering was Dreams of Kadath.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any of them really. Not a fan of their heavier handed Latakia blends, but I'll take C&D over anything I've smoked in the past thirty years. Black Frigate alone takes up fifteen pounds of my cellar.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Three Friars. Don't hesitate, just buy a pound and thank me later.

This ^
Three friars is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. At first I thought it was okay and I put it away for a few months. Now that I’ve been back to it I am loving it.
You shouldn also try Bayou Morning, Pirate Kake and Black Frigate

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am kind of in the same boat, as I just started digging into the C&D catalog. So far, here is what I've enjoyed:

Black Frigate: This one is as much a VA-based or Navy type blend as a Latakia blend. Very good. 3.5 stars.

Redburn: Burley cake w/ rum and molasses. I like it just fine, but if I am being honest, I don't pull much flavor from anything but the molasses and rum. 3 stars

Exhausted Rooster: I actually got this one in an order that included Peterson's University Flake. The topping on both of these blends is pretty similar, IMO. I prefer Exhausted Rooster. 3 stars

Burley Flake #3: Very nice and stout. It's very much still a C&D type burley as opposed to say, HH Burley Flake or the Solani. Plainer-tasting, a bit sharper, and stronger. I like this one very much. 4 stars

I am also a fan of Old Joe and Big N' Burley, but I would just buy those in bulk.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many. A nice bulk English is Stratfordshire. Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, Big'n'Burley, Dark Burley. If you like burley, you'll like some C&D blends. Billy Budd has cigar leaf in the best way.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Enormous fan of Sea Dog and Privateer here...but should I get more or wait for the Peterson Nightcap to drop...

Status
Not open for further replies.