PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I like the mach3 and gel. My dad burn the house down in Fort Riley KS by dumpin out a hot ash tray in the garbage can...TOTAL loss. Damn fine memories.

beardnpipe

Lurker
Feb 17, 2010
I'm 45, learned to shave with a straight razor and soap and brush. Only way to shave, not that I have in 15 or so years. Still have my razor and strop. You can get a decent boar brush but they're expensive. Worth every penny. When I shaved, I preferred Pear's Bath Soap - a glycerin soap. Very nice way to shave

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I too remember the sound of a straight razon on a strop. I think I was 4 or 45 when I tried my first shave with it. There were 5 or 6 small cuts on my cheek. When my Dad found out, the next morning the straight razor had vanished and a Gillette butterfly was in it's place.

He kepy the strop for "educational" purposes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I started this string, it was with a crooked smirk, I just wanted to stir the pot (as it were). I can't believe that it has been as much fun as it has been.
These days I use a double bladed disposable.

The old straight razors were just too dangerous for me.

I think there is a redeeming quality to the straight razor, however.

There is the romance of the old west that they emote.

I will continue to use my much loved mug, soap, and brush.

It's just part of getting my day off to a good start.

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
So this is why I joined! I may get around to writing something in the intro section, if not, this will have to do. I'm 32 and started straight shaving last year. I'm a blacksmith and I decided that if I'm going to try to make a straight razor I'd better know how a proper one is supposed to operate. I've since given up on that idea (I'm much better at camp knives). I've had a beard for 12 years, but I shave my cheeks and neck to keep it tidy. I tried a full shave a few months ago but I looked like a stranger!
The equipment: tweezerman badger brush for the oil based soaps and a 7 year old VanDeer Hagen boar hair for the glycerin soaps (boar brushes do get better once you break them in). I like the ogallala (sp?) bay rum varieties for glycerin soaps. For fat based I move between Tabac, Provence Sante, L'Occitane (from the mall- it's good!) and a mug of Old Spice soap from 1953. Nothing beats those tallow based soaps but that L'Occitane gives Tabac a run for its money (on my face anyway).
For a razor I use a Sanguine XD20 that takes replaceable single-edged blades (take a double and snap in half, or buy single edged blades). My blade preference is the Derby brand that comes in boxes of 100. I've tried several others but for the price and ease of shaving I stick with these. Two or three shaves and I replace the blade. No muss, no fuss, no stones, no strops.
More than you ever really wanted to know about straight shaving: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/index.php

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome cobsandclays,
Interesting web site.

Like you I just shave my cheeks and neck, but I limit myself to double bladed razors.

I'm not much of a morning person, and I would probably find my head in the sink after nicking myself. I could never the knack of keeping the angle right.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Count me as a soap and brush man. I used to travel extensively for business, and it was really nice to be able to carry my shaving stuff in my carry-on bag regardless of the latest TSA knee-jerk regarding carry-on items.
A quality brush will not lose bristles when you lather up, and I find I get a much smoother shave with the soap than any canned gel or foam. Besides that, I LIKE the process of making the lather and applying it with a brush. I used to use a fancy mug for making up the lather, but nowadays I just hold the soap in my hand. It's fast, easy, and works for me.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm a little late to this thread, but here is a picture I just took in my bathroom.
shaving.jpg

The razor and brush set are from Geo F Trumper.
Nat Sherman in New York City had some cool stuff too.
nat-sherman-nyc-032.jpg

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
I'm 21 years old and I use an old Gillette double edge safety razor, cake shaving soap and a badger brush. I've been shaving this way for 2 years. My 60 year old father swears by an electric razor, but I really feel like I get the best possible shave I can the way I do it. For all you other old-schoolers out there, try this: Grow your own Aloe Vera plant and cut a leaf off and put it in the freezer. After shaving, take your frozen leaf and with a knife, cut the leaf open and use the ice cold aloe on your face. This prevents razor burn, bumps, and sanitizes any cuts and scrapes. It also closes your pores up rather well and makes your skin devilishly smooth. Aloe Vera is mostly water and is one of the most concentrated sources of nutrients and vitamins on the planet.
Here in New Orleans, there is a specific shop that caters to the old school shaver. Many of the higher end spas also sell nice scented shaving soap. Not that mug stuff at wall mart. Since my girlfriend works at one of these spas I get a hefty discount on the products.

rbergum95

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
since someone brought the thread up ill chime in. i also am a mug and brush man. i dont care what anyone says, that is the only way to go. i wont use a razor unless it is older than my father. currently i am rotating a 1947 gilette aristocrat, a 1952 aristocrat, and a unnamed straight razor from sometime in the 30s. no better shave on the planet, save that of an old time barber with the hands of a surgeon.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I'm 37 and started shaving with a Remington electric a long time ago. My Dad's an electric shaver man. I didn't switch to a razor until I had a job when I was 22 or so where the place I was staying didn't have a shaver plug in the bathroom. Sorta was forced out of my comfort zone. Then a couple of years ago I was making noises about classic shaving from when men were men and you didn't need a fancy degree to be able to count the number of blades on your razor. So my wife bought me a Merkur safety razor and a brush and some german shaving cream in a tube. I shave every day with the razor, but most days I use a lotion-style shaving cream that doesn't lather. I save the hot shaves for the weekends when I can take my time.
Simon

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You guys....I went back and read this thread and went to the forum and watched Youtube videos for 30 minutes on it. I struggle with the best of the electric shavers as they definitely don't come close to the wet blade method. I just don't know if I want to go to all that time and trouble every night to wet shave with lather...hummmmm. I keep drifting back to doing things the Old School way the older I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.