PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I am thinking about purchasing my first meer. I want to compare how meer smokes compared to briar and cob before purchasing more briar's in case meer turns out to be my thing. This calcined pipe caught my eye. It has the dimensions I was considering for my next briar, and I like the amber color of the stem compared to the standard black. I love the coloring threads showing the color progression, but I only smoke about ten bowls a week in many different pipes. I wouldn't smoke it enough to color it much in my lifetime. Well, when I retire, maybe. I suspect my bowl per day average will go way up. I did online research on calcined pipes and couldn't find any detailed information.

What are the pros and cons of calcined pipes other than the appearance? Do they smoke differently than non-calcined? Are these pipes more fragile? Will it continue to color?

1713910052372.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is good news. I won’t rule out a calcined pipe. I am now leaning towards a bent pipe. I am going to watch the Altinay site for a bent pipe that meets my chamber dimension criteria.
What size are you looking for? Considered other carvers?

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
What size are you looking for? Considered other carvers?
I want to try a pipe with a wider chamber diameter, 0.80 inches or more. I have looked at other carvers but I really like the Altinay motif patterns. The Dublin linked below is in my price range but I think I would prefer less angle on the shank. I am not ruling out a classic shape, bent, smooth finish pipe. I do like those also. So many options.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I want to try a pipe with a wider chamber diameter, 0.80 inches or more. I have looked at other carvers but I really like the Altinay motif patterns. The Dublin linked below is in my price range but I think I would prefer less angle on the shank. I am not ruling out a classic shape, bent, smooth finish pipe. I do like those also. So many options.

Can't say I've seen an Altinay that I've liked the looks of but if you want something specific, they do take commissions.

The carving on the one in the link looks like something from the Emin Brothers.

20231217_170348.jpg

Last edited:

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Can't say I've seen an Altinay that I've liked the looks of but if you want something specific, they do take commissions.

View attachment 305502
Thanks C. E. I will check out the Emin Brothers. I had not heard of them.

After sleeping on it, I decided I prefer a smooth finish on my briars, so I am leaning towards a smooth, apple meerschaum, with similar dimensions to the pipe linked below. I will check out the various makers recommended on this site. If I can't find what I want in stock I may ask Altinay if they can recreate this pipe in smooth finish, maybe ask for a dark amber stem.

Thanks for the feedback.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I did a search for Emin Brothers and it brought me to MeerschaumMarket.com. I surfed through the many pages of classical shaped pipes and happened upon the pipe linked below. I have been wanting a small pipe to dedicate to Semois and Five brothers for when I need some Vitamin N. A small bowl is all I need for those tobaccos. I figure this little pipe will let me dip my toes into the meerschaum pool and if it is something I like I can dive in later. The order has been placed and I am looking forward to my first meerschaum smoke.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico

View attachment 305502
Wow…what a beautiful pipe. I love the pattern.
I didn’t realize that this was your pipe until I saw it on another thread today. I thought it was a pic from the Emin Brothers website.
The Emin Brothers do nice work. Is this considered a beret style pipe?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I did a search for Emin Brothers and it brought me to MeerschaumMarket.com. I surfed through the many pages of classical shaped pipes and happened upon the pipe linked below. I have been wanting a small pipe to dedicate to Semois and Five brothers for when I need some Vitamin N. A small bowl is all I need for those tobaccos. I figure this little pipe will let me dip my toes into the meerschaum pool and if it is something I like I can dive in later. The order has been placed and I am looking forward to my first meerschaum smoke.

Nice!
I keep my eye on meerschaumcom, every once in a while they make their block mini’s with .75x1.2” bowls-with case for under $30 shipped. They make great “knock around” or meers one doesn’t have to fret about.
This guy will be here Monday. This thread actually reminded me to check and grab another one, so thanks!

IMG_0256.jpeg

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Nice!
I keep my eye on meerschaumcom, every once in a while they make their block mini’s with .75x1.2” bowls-with case for under $30 shipped. They make great “knock around” or meers one doesn’t have to fret about.
This guy will be here Monday. This thread actually reminded me to check and grab another one, so thanks!

View attachment 306016

Thanks for the info Sobrbiker! I had not found that website during my research. It is bookmarked! The webpage is well designed with great prices and selection. I am relatively new to pipes, about three years, but getting really serious the past year. I started with cobs, then added briar. As with tobacco I want to try everything, so I am now on a meer kick. For that price the minis will be perfect garage pipes. I already have my eye on the larger bent bulldogs. Enjoy your new pipe!

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks for the info Sobrbiker! I had not found that website during my research. It is bookmarked! The webpage is well designed with great prices and selection. I am relatively new to pipes, about three years, but getting really serious the past year. I started with cobs, then added briar. As with tobacco I want to try everything, so I am now on a meer kick. For that price the minis will be perfect garage pipes. I already have my eye on the larger bent bulldogs. Enjoy your new pipe!
The only drawback to the minis are that they have a one piece delrin tenon. My first ripped, probably because I was taking it apart too much. Paykoc had a replacement insert and stem that fit so it was just a lesson learned.
I’ve had this guy since 01/23, probably 4-5 dozen smokes.IMG_0265.jpeg

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Tha
The only drawback to the minis are that they have a one piece delrin tenon. My first ripped, probably because I was taking it apart too much. Paykoc had a replacement insert and stem that fit so it was just a lesson learned.
I’ve had this guy since 01/23, probably 4-5 dozen smokes
That looks like a nice little clencher. My meer arrives Monday also. If I like it I suspect I will get a few of the 0.75“ diameter minis in the near future for working around the house pipes. Thanks for the heads up on the tenon.

Reactions: Sobrbiker