PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’ve been wanting to get a Barling pipe (family era) for a little while, but of course they aren’t easy to find if you have a small budget.

I think I finally found one, the seller accepted my offer which was a decent amount less than the asking price.

I did a fair amount of “google research” to determine if it was a “family era”. If I understand correctly, this pipe would have been made in the first half of 1962, right at the very tail end of the “family era”. The number on it is 4105, and it has the T.V.F. stamp, along with the arched Barling’s Make stamp.

Am I correct about the approximate time of manufacture?

Also, the Barling cross on the stem is not quite centered at the top of the stem, it is slightly off center. Do you think this stem is original? Or is that why I got a “good deal” on it? I appreciate any help I can get on this one. Looking forward to cleaning and smoking!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I will be happy to provide more pics if necessary.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve been wanting to get a Barling pipe (family era) for a little while, but of course they aren’t easy to find if you have a small budget.

I think I finally found one, the seller accepted my offer which was a decent amount less than the asking price.

I did a fair amount of “google research” to determine if it was a “family era”. If I understand correctly, this pipe would have been made in the first half of 1962, right at the very tail end of the “family era”. The number on it is 4105, and it has the T.V.F. stamp, along with the arched Barling’s Make stamp.

Am I correct about the approximate time of manufacture?

Also, the Barling cross on the stem is not quite centered at the top of the stem, it is slightly off center. Do you think this stem is original? Or is that why I got a “good deal” on it? I appreciate any help I can get on this one. Looking forward to cleaning and smoking!

View attachment 257317
View attachment 257318
View attachment 257319
View attachment 257320
I will be happy to provide more pics if necessary.
You are correct! This pipe was made in 1962 and only in 1962, at least as late as September, when Diversy Machineworks took over US distribution from Nichols. The only difference between this pipe and a generally accepted "Pre-Transition" pipe is the model number stamp and collector ignorance. The wood is the same, the carvers are the same. The careful processing is the same. Congrats! I hope it smokes well for you!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great find
And great job researching the year of manufacture
Enjoy puffy
There had been a lot of speculation about these pipes, that they were from a lost treasure trove of '30's era pipes that got discovered in the bowels of the factory, and other stories. I had an attached letter to the recipient of the 1962 catalog mentioning the new model numbers, and when I took a magnifying glass the the photos in the catalog I found that many of them still bore the old numbers, while all of the ones with the new number also had a smallers "Barling's Make" logo. These, plus the Diversy letter made it simple to place the year of manufacture. All of this was over by November of 1962, when the "Dealers" catalog was issued with the new nomenclature.