PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
My friend says he bought them second hand. They were attached to MM Cobs that are clearly unsmoked, so he presumes the stems haven’t been used. They also appear clean overall, but he just wants to be sure and sanitize them as well. I’ll be sure to pass on any advice you may have. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm assuming that you're referring to a mechanical dishwasher and not a member of your household. In either case, you can put an acrylic stem in your dishwasher, but in the latter case it may be a bit uncomfortable, embarrassing, kinky, or illegal. As long as your mechanical dishwasher is equipped with a door, you should be able to place your acrylic stems in it.
Personally, I just run warm water through my acrylic stems and scrub them out with a couple of pipe cleaners that have been dipped in a scent free dish washing soap.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just use dishsoap and the sink. That's what I do. After every smoke I take the stem off, dip a pipe cleaner in dish soap and run it through the lux of the stem, then scrub the stem with a non-scratch Scotch-Brite scrubbie. Rinse with lukewarm to cold water. I do the same with vulcanite, just minding that the water temperature is towards the cold.

Dish soap should be enough to kill most pathogens.

For brand new pipes, I always disinfect them with a cleaner dipped in absinthe. Every now and then, I will disinfect the stems with absinthe or gin as well. But don't make this a habit with acrylic stems: alcohol can induce the formation of micro-cracks in the acrylic.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would be worried. I left my meer in a hot car for 2 days, and it straightened the stem.
Live and learn.
I actually don't mind it, it takes a pipe cleaner better this way., And I don't use the case anymore. I could boil it and bend it myself. I've done it before. But I don't need to.

PXL_20210905_223248918.jpg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I'm assuming that you're referring to a mechanical dishwasher and not a member of your household. In either case, you can put an acrylic stem in your dishwasher, but in the latter case it may be a bit uncomfortable, embarrassing, kinky, or illegal. As long as your mechanical dishwasher is equipped with a door, you should be able to place your acrylic stems in it.
Personally, I just run warm water through my acrylic stems and scrub them out with a couple of pipe cleaners that have been dipped in a scent free dish washing soap.
Made my day.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think hand washing would do a better job in terms of sanitizing the airway. The jets in a dish washer do well with surfaces, but I wouldn't bet on their penetrating a narrow stem airway in any consistent way. Most dishwashers draw from water heaters that are not set hot enough to melt acrylic, but there is probably some point with some water heaters where that would be a problem.