Can Constant Relights Cause Premature Bowl Charring?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not premature bowl charring, just an unsatisfying bowl of tobacco. Things to try might be packing more loosely; drying the tobacco longer; and/or rubbing out the tobacco more thoroughly or even grating it in a hand grater or small coffee bean grinder for a smaller more even cut.

I think long stretches of not having to relight are the mark of a good bowl of tobacco. If the blend has good flavor at all, that will bring it out, and it is difficult to have that if you are constantly relighting, since the ember is often cold.

I had a tin of McC's Dark Star that just wouldn't stay lit, so I couldn't tell whether it was good or not. Hand grating turned it into a sublime blend, everything that I had heard about it. That's about the apex of Virginias I have smoked.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I bought an “herb grinder” that’s basically for weed and it has proven highly effective for taming the asbestos flakes from G&H and/or SG.

They make inexpensive plastic ones but I went with the anodized aluminum with zero regrets.

Try it and see if it helps you get the bowl lit and keeps it going. Makes for a more pleasant pipe smoking experience!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Th
Not premature bowl charring, just an unsatisfying bowl of tobacco. Things to try might be packing more loosely; drying the tobacco longer; and/or rubbing out the tobacco more thoroughly or even grating it in a hand grater or small coffee bean grinder for a smaller more even cut.

I think long stretches of not having to relight are the mark of a good bowl of tobacco. If the blend has good flavor at all, that will bring it out, and it is difficult to have that if you are constantly relighting, since the ember is often cold.

I had a tin of McC's Dark Star that just wouldn't stay lit, so I couldn't tell whether it was good or not. Hand grating turned it into a sublime blend, everything that I had heard about it. That's about the apex of Virginias I have smoked.
thanks, I'll try that!

Reactions: Briar Tuck

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I bought an “herb grinder” that’s basically for weed and it has proven highly effective for taming the asbestos flakes from G&H and/or SG.

They make inexpensive plastic ones but I went with the anodized aluminum with zero regrets.

Try it and see if it helps you get the bowl lit and keeps it going. Makes for a more pleasant pipe smoking experience!
Gonna try grating it/grinding. Thanks for the tip

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I prefer a mortar and pestle to a grinder. A lot more elbow grease, but also easier to control and get particular. And when not in use, it can hold pipe cleaners, tools, etc. Looks right at home amongst the tobacco junk, if aesthetics are of any importance. I seem to see them at garage sales all the time. I have a granite one that weighs too much, but the bottom is rather smooth, so it breaks apart flakes into sort of ribbons rather than triturating the tobacco.

Reactions: gervais

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com

I’ll second this. KingTop grinders have never failed me.

Hmmmmm, wonder if I can get my posts sponsored.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'll leave a jar open for several days. It's ok for the flakes to get crispy on top. If it's a fairly full jar the tobacco underneath will always retain moisture. If you then reseal the jar and leave it to sit for several weeks the humidity will equalize. It's a pain that SG products essentially don't come ready to smoke and you're paying for a fair amount of water weight. That's the deal though. Bottom line is, you've got to dry that shit. After long drying, I tend to fully rub out the flakes before smoking and if the ribbons still clump at all, I'll pack a bowl and leave it for another day or two, or three. The microwave also works. I don't have trouble keeping my tobacco lit at all. I also don't believe much is lost in terms of flavour when you let the tobacco get REALLY dry.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends on how hard you suck in the flame, and how much tobacco is left. Problem is with new guys either trying to smoke the last bit of tobacco, or not knowing he smoked it all. Since that new guy doesn't know, he will repeatedly suck in the flame hard and toast the bottom of the chamber. I did that to about 3 Megan Bones at start.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Depends on how hard you suck in the flame, and how much tobacco is left. Problem is with new guys either trying to smoke the last bit of tobacco, or not knowing he smoked it all. Since that new guy doesn't know, he will repeatedly suck in the flame hard and toast the bottom of the chamber. I did that to about 3 Megan Bones at start.
Yes. If it goes out near the bottom of the chamber, it's probably a good idea to dump it rather than potentially damaging your pipe by charring the airway.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Seems like Samuel Gawith tobaccos may be packaged fairly wet, and are said to require some drying time for most people's preferences. That is most everyone's report about Squadron Leader, anyway. I have a load of SL on order and I'll reply if I think the same

My practice is usually to switch to matches or a hemp wick when the bowl gets lower if I need a relight... lots easier to reach inside without charring the edge!