Canadian Import Advice Help - Tax was 200%!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I have a close friend ( a pipe smoker ) that works for the Canada Border Agency. He sent me the following. Look at it closely! The duty, and Fed tax are the same across Canada. The ONLY difference is the provincial tax.

All info is based on importing 1 x 50g tin of pipe tobacco valued at 10.00 USD.

BC:

Provincial Tobacco Tax: 650$/1 kg
Excise duty: 9.90 $
GST: 1.18 $
Provincial Tobacco Tax: 32.50 $ (1 20th of 650 $)

Total: 43.58

Alberta:
Provincial Tobacco Tax: 0.00 $

Total: 11.08 $

For those that do not speak metric ... I kg = 2.2 lbs .... aprox. So the BC provincial TAX is just shy of $300.00 CDN for one pound. 454 grams per lb. Of NOTE ----- the Alberta provincial tobacco tax is ...... nadda .... zero .....

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I found this info. I wonder if this applies also to US Citizens. I would not mind bringing a tin along the next time I visit the Maritimes. I will be careful however, as my brother and I spent around 2.5 hours at customs and border patrol driving into NB once after making a joke about having an avocado in the vehicle, which was then set aside and completely unpacked, cleared and searched while we both sat in separate rooms...Nice fellows, but not to be messed with. It seems like staying under 200 grams will go a long way. Do First Nations get any sort of break on traditional use grounds?

Stamped Tobacco Products – Personal exemption amounts​

If you wish to import cigarettes, manufactured tobacco and tobacco sticks duty free as part of your personal exemption, the packages must be stamped "duty paid Canada droit acquitté". You will find tobacco products sold at duty-free stores marked this way.

If you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more, you may import all of the following amounts of cigars and stamped tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes.

ProductAmount
Cigarettes200 cigarettes
Cigars50 cigars
Tobacco200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco
Tobacco sticks200 tobacco sticks
Do they limit how big the cigars are or can you bring fifty 8x80 cigars along with your paltry amount of pipe tobacco? And what are Tobacco Sticks that aren't cigarettes or cigars?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have a close friend ( a pipe smoker ) that works for the Canada Border Agency. He sent me the following. Look at it closely! The duty, and Fed tax are the same across Canada. The ONLY difference is the provincial tax.

All info is based on importing 1 x 50g tin of pipe tobacco valued at 10.00 USD.

BC:

Provincial Tobacco Tax: 650$/1 kg
Provincial Tobacco Tax: 32.50 $ (1 20th of 650 $)

Total: 43.58

Alberta:
Provincial Tobacco Tax: 0.00 $

Total: 11.08 $

For those that do not speak metric ... I kg = 2.2 lbs .... aprox. So the BC provincial TAX is just shy of $300.00 CDN for one pound. 454 grams per lb. Of NOTE ----- the Alberta provincial tobacco tax is ...... nadda .... zero .....

Nah, there's prov tax here too:

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Hello all,

I haven't ever smoked a pipe before so decided to give the hobby a try by ordering a selection of pipe tobacco from the USA (just the top brands for each type to give them a try - aromatics, English etc.) along with 1 estate pipe. It was roughly $300 CAD for the tobacco and $100 for the pipe.

I have been eagerly awaiting my shipment and thought the duty taxes would be like $50-$100. Oh my God I was wrong. They are trying to charge me $600. In what world is the tax 200% more than the product? The breakdown is:

$188 duties
$30 GST
$385 PST
$9.95 handling

My question is, have any other Canadians experienced this? This is absolutely insane. Is this correct? I live in Alberta where we don't even have PST but the lady on the phone explained it's some other tobacco tax they put in that slot for Alberta anyway.

Now I have to refuse my goods and lose my estate pipe and basically give up the hobby. Just thought I'd ask here as I remember Canadians on here recommending 4Noggins before so clearly some people do import... how?!? why?!? 200%??
Greetings from Ottawa! Please see the thread link below (in case you missed it) that mentions and points to the Canadian Tobacco Tax Calculator my late pipe smoking mentor and I devised. This spreadsheet helps us to know what we could expect when ordering tobacco.

I would be curious for you to plug in your numbers to see if they match up closely or not.

Post in thread 'Canadian Import Advice Help - Tax was 200%!'
Canadian Import Advice Help - Tax was 200%! :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/canadian-import-advice-help-tax-was-200.104250/post-37017123

Eric

crowbait

Lurker
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Im in Alberta, and I purchase through 4noggins every now and again. The 48hr limit of tobacco to take across the border per person is 200 grams (7 oz). I keep my purchases to this limit and haven't had an issue. The first time I ordered from the USA is was over that limit and I was hit with duties. I end up paying more in shipping because orders are more frequent but the overall cost is lower than getting dinged at the border. It's anecdotal and I'm no border expert but thats been my experience.