Canadian Import Advice Help - Tax was 200%!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
New Accessories
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't have the troubles of paying high duties with my tobacco. But I still have to be very careful which tobaccos I order, as I'm not allowed to ship tobacco FROM my state, only....TO my state. So I'm stuck with whatever I order. So I only buy tobaccos I know I like from now on.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Just out of curiosity, if my buddy in the states sends me a tin of tobacco, would the package be checked or opened? Or does it have to be declared? Would that be smuggling lol?
I don’t know if the policies of changed but I sent tobacco a few years ago to someone in Canada. It was marked as pipe tobacco and claimed as a gift. It was checked by customs, it went through fine.

Whether that was the correct application or a lenient one, I don’t know but that was my one experience. I followed all of the applicable rules I could find for the time and there were no issues.

Reactions: StPatrickPiper

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Just out of curiosity, if my buddy in the states sends me a tin of tobacco, would the package be checked or opened? Or does it have to be declared? Would that be smuggling lol?
It's a roll of the dice. If it's a single 50 gram tin with a declared value of maybe under $20.00 it might be let through, but .... you just never know if the customs official likes doing paper work and collecting pounds of flesh .....

Reactions: AroEnglish

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello all,

I haven't ever smoked a pipe before so decided to give the hobby a try by ordering a selection of pipe tobacco from the USA (just the top brands for each type to give them a try - aromatics, English etc.) along with 1 estate pipe. It was roughly $300 CAD for the tobacco and $100 for the pipe.

I have been eagerly awaiting my shipment and thought the duty taxes would be like $50-$100. Oh my God I was wrong. They are trying to charge me $600. In what world is the tax 200% more than the product? The breakdown is:

$188 duties
$30 GST
$385 PST
$9.95 handling

My question is, have any other Canadians experienced this? This is absolutely insane. Is this correct? I live in Alberta where we don't even have PST but the lady on the phone explained it's some other tobacco tax they put in that slot for Alberta anyway.

Now I have to refuse my goods and lose my estate pipe and basically give up the hobby. Just thought I'd ask here as I remember Canadians on here recommending 4Noggins before so clearly some people do import... how?!? why?!? 200%??
Pm me and I can give you more details. I have the detailed calculation that I can explain to you, (and then post later). At the most, you should never pay more than what you would pay in your home province.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The first mistake was to order way too much. That tags you as a target—someone unwilling to refuse the parcel and send it back, or to ask for a reassessment.

Don't think you mentioned what shipping method you used, but it also matters. Courier companies will hammer you hard on duties and, unlike regular post where sometimes you just might get lucky and have the duties waived (expecially if it's only a couple of tins), there will ALWAYS be duties since courier companies make money on brokerage.

When I order tobacco from the US I order no more than 3 tins and use the most basic mail service: the cheapest, slowest and that doesn't even provide a tracking number—I don't need to compulsively be tracking the parcel: it'll get here when it does. Normally I only pay about $30 or less in duties; sometimes it's been waived.

The faster you want the items shipped, the more you look like the eager, desperate fellow who will pay anything to have it. This too makes you a target.

Another piece of advice: NEVER put pipes and tobacco in the same order, but keep them separate.

Only once have I been dinged with ludicrous charges from the Canadian B$ Agency: they dinged me ~$120 for three tins—only a few weeks after they had only charged me ~$30 for a previous shipment of also 3 tins. I sent the parcel back (sorry SPC, but legal theft is still theft) on the spot (I actually meant to send it back to the CB$A for re-ASS-essment but the mailman understood my body language as refusal and it was sent back to SPC). Never again have I been dinged for more than $30 give or take a few bucks. I guess they reckoned I'm neither eager nor desperate.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I have been charged $30 on a $4 pouch, and $35 on a 13 oz jug. I've also had over a pound sail through despite being "presented for review."
There is no rhyme or reason, which is part of what makes it so infuriating when you get hit.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
So customs have recently started to get aggressive here, however, there’s a pretty easy solution, unlike some of the useless gum flapping or typing above,😂

1-yes there’s a set price they can charge. If it comes in too high;

2-tell your postal clerk you decline with a REASSESSMENT, you fill in your name and number on the yellow custom form, and customs will come back, usually with a fair price. I had 200$ for 3 tins brought down to 60$, no worries.

3-order pipes and tobacco’s separate. 2 to 4 tins at a time, 2 is best.

good luck 🍀

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I found this info. I wonder if this applies also to US Citizens. I would not mind bringing a tin along the next time I visit the Maritimes. I will be careful however, as my brother and I spent around 2.5 hours at customs and border patrol driving into NB once after making a joke about having an avocado in the vehicle, which was then set aside and completely unpacked, cleared and searched while we both sat in separate rooms...Nice fellows, but not to be messed with. It seems like staying under 200 grams will go a long way. Do First Nations get any sort of break on traditional use grounds?

Stamped Tobacco Products – Personal exemption amounts​

If you wish to import cigarettes, manufactured tobacco and tobacco sticks duty free as part of your personal exemption, the packages must be stamped "duty paid Canada droit acquitté". You will find tobacco products sold at duty-free stores marked this way.

If you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more, you may import all of the following amounts of cigars and stamped tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes.

ProductAmount
Cigarettes200 cigarettes
Cigars50 cigars
Tobacco200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco
Tobacco sticks200 tobacco sticks

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have canoed into and out of Canada several times, with no customs checks.

Get a big canoe!

Finally some practical advice! Canoeing is the obvious solution to this Canadian dilemma.

For beginning canoers though, I strongly recommend taking a course in advanced canoeing techniques, such as these highly skilled individuals demonstrate:

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
This thread aside which on the surface is pretty extreme I dont mind paying taxes. My wife and I basically get free medical care in France. It allowed me to retire early. In the US I would have had to work another decade just because if the medical insurance trap.

Everything costs money as woodsroad points out. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes it eats you.
Socialized med care has never worked in any country. Long wait for appointments, can’t pick quality Dr. Every hypochondriac and his grandmother gets in line. Only folks with big bucks can get around the system !

Reactions: olkofri

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its not a problem. Perhaps in the big cities. Myself and my wife as well as her family receive quality prompt medical care. There are problems with every system but frankly, that position is pushed by them medical establishment in the US becuse doctors want to continue to be filthy rich. They are not in other countries.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Its not a problem. Perhaps in the big cities. Myself and my wife as well as her family receive quality prompt medical care. There are problems with every system but frankly, that position is pushed by them medical establishment in the US becuse doctors want to continue to be filthy rich. They are not in other countries.
If you are healthy, government-controlled healthcare is great.

As with anything else, there is no free lunch. Somebody pays. In a private system, the insurance companies take a big cut of it. In a government system, the politics, inefficiencies, graft and corruption take a big cut.

But ask yourself this: If government healthcare is so great, wouldn’t we be better off if they also controlled housing, energy, the food supply, weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs and cat clinics?