PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I will never have Jim’s discerning palate, but I hardly ever disagree with him.

——
Jim’s Review

Current MacBaren Version: This is a little stronger, less sweet, and less cased than its brother in the gold tin. Slight citrus, fig, and a little grass/hay and a more earthy, woody, breadiness with a nice mild to medium tangy dark fruit Virginia flavor. Also is slightly sugary with a light floral quality. Not a very complex blend, though there are a couple of different Virginias in the mix.
—-

Gold Capstan is better, if you like milder and sweeter tobaccos.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I think tobacco prices in Canada can out-compete even the most expensive countries mentioned so far. For example, a 1.5 ounce pouch of Captain Black Regular is $44.95 not including 13 per cent sales tax. So after tax, you will pay $50.79. More prestigious, higher-quality blends are even more expensive. If you want to buy exclusively from Canadian retailers, it's really a prohibitively expensive hobby.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I think tobacco prices in Canada can out-compete even the most expensive countries mentioned so far. For example, a 1.5 ounce pouch of Captain Black Regular is $44.95 not including 13 per cent sales tax. So after tax, you will pay $50.79. More prestigious, higher-quality blends are even more expensive. If you want to buy exclusively from Canadian retailers, it's really a prohibitively expensive hobby.

I had no clue.

I grew up in Ontario -- haven't been back in 20 years. But, from what I've read over the last couple years, it's clear that Canada has derailed, and badly.

How successful are private mailings of tobacco? IOW, if I were to mail somebody a couple tins, what are the odds of them making it across the border?

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I had no clue.

I grew up in Ontario -- haven't been back in 20 years. But, from what I've read over the last couple years, it's clear that Canada has derailed, and badly.

How successful are private mailings of tobacco? IOW, if I were to mail somebody a couple tins, what are the odds of them making it across the border?

For the most part, privately-mailed envelopes get through the border without duty. I have found that if retailers do mark "pipe tobacco" on the packaging, heavy duty can be applied. I once ordered a $6 tin of Sutliff during a sale and got nailed with $63 of duty!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For the most part, privately-mailed envelopes get through the border without duty. I have found that if retailers do mark "pipe tobacco" on the packaging, heavy duty can be applied. I once ordered a $6 tin of Sutliff during a sale and got nailed with $63 of duty!
What about a privately mailed small box with a couple tins, not marked as tobacco? Or would it be safer to transfer contents to baggies in a Manila envelope?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What about a privately mailed small box with a couple tins, not marked as tobacco? Or would it be safer to transfer contents to baggies in a Manila envelope?
Canadian customs is no more efficient than USA customs. If one of our five packages made it through, it's still cheaper than buying it there or paying duty. We're I to do it,m if keep the packages relatively small, box or envelope, and mark it as books. I'd use a box, you can't feel what's inside. I'll bet more than 50% make it through.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
These new-age twits needs to remember who built this country. Hard working, tobacco-smoking MEN. Real fucking men. Do you think their spirits would have been kept high without their smokes in their pocket? Not a fucking chance. I hope they think about that while they are looking down from their beautiful high-rise office buildings drinking their Starbucks double frappacinno lattes, built for you courtesy of all those disgusting lowlife, scum-bags and their tobacco.

Fuck I hate what the future holds. Lol.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I hope not! Placed an order with 4 noggins for a couple tins.