PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Just wondering if anyone keeps a spare tin/pouch in their car along with a pipe. Just in case you would forget yours. Been thinking of getting a cheap cob pipe to keep in the car, but was wondering on the tobacco. How would you store it so it would weather the temp changes? Would it be your go to or something like an aromatic cause of the moisture content? Just wondering.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
if you do it should be something that holds up. But it seems like a pain. Now a cob or some cheap pipe for back up is great. Not to get morbid but you go out and a random falcon steals your favorite briar right out of your mouth.... At least you still have a pipe.

Reactions: Carol and Medy

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
You might use a screw top tin 2 oz. I bought a case of 48 cheap on AMZ. Id be worried about the heat damaging a nice pipe so I would just use cobs and aros which never dry out. There are several good ones out there but your flavor prefs would apply here. I've never had a need for this since pipe smoking for me is environmental as well as timely. I smoke at the same times and places in sunny weather. Temp range from 25f ish to 85f ish.

Reactions: Carol and Medy

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Back in the day, after some trial & error I ended up keeping two pouch tobaccos, Captain Black and Amphora, in a small hard case six pack cooler, with a couple of cobs, tampers etc. on the floor of the back seat. That worked out very well for me. Neither tobacco seemed to suffer from heat or cold!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep a Dunhill billiard in my glove box with an ever changing tin of tobacco but I've got several pipes in my desk, locker, and tool bag at work with various jars of tobacco.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I usually have 3 to 6 pipes (mostly cobs) and a couple small Mason jars of tobacco in my work truck for smoking on the road. I did have one vulcanite stem lovat turn itself into a custom bent by leaving it on the dash on a hot summer day. Also if you keep tobacco in your vehicle, you will need to have it in something airtight or it will dry out very fast in the summer. I have used this effect to advantage with some tins that I felt were over moist, but you have to be careful it is easy to forget and over dry!

Reactions: Carol

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I keep my Brylon Yelo Bole straight apple in the console, a big box of matches, my non stainless CSEZK tool and a cleaner or two in the car. Also, a leather pouch with leaf.
I have these for emergency as I typically bring a pipe on short trips and more for durations.
My first and only drug store purchase of Captain Black white stayed in the car in FL during the summer and never lost its moisture. I try not to leave a butane lighter in the car, because I'm concerned it might blow up in the Florida heat.

Reactions: Carol and kcghost