PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Some of us here might have heard of the Carrington event of 1859 which played havoc with the electric telegraph. And the warning was that such an event again would cause major disaster on earth as we are now so dependent on electrical devices.

The aurora last weekend was at level 5 (out of 5) severity, but as far as I'm aware, it didn't so much as turn out a single light bulb.

Since no satellites fell from the sky, and the electricity grid appears intact, have we over estimated the effects of solar flares (coronal mass ejections). Or, was the Carrington event much bigger than this weekends weather?

Does anyone know?

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
The weekend's storm was X3 and shouldn't have amounted to much. In the main, it didn't except for the auroras, which were far more intense than they should have been, were the magnetosphere at 100%.

There was an X50 in 1921, the year it didn't rain in the UK.

Reactions: Elric

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I noticed my usually very stable TV signal was glitchy over the period of about 3 days. It was as if the actual transmission was being interrupted for a few milliseconds at a time which caused the picture to 'twitch' and the sound to 'click'.

I wonder if that might have been aurora related?

Jay.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Some of us here might have heard of the Carrington event of 1859 which played havoc with the electric telegraph. And the warning was that such an event again would cause major disaster on earth as we are now so dependent on electrical devices.

The aurora last weekend was at level 5 (out of 5) severity, but as far as I'm aware, it didn't so much as turn out a single light bulb.

Since no satellites fell from the sky, and the electricity grid appears intact, have we over estimated the effects of solar flares (coronal mass ejections). Or, was the Carrington event much bigger than this weekends weather?

Does anyone know?
In 1859, either the cables were not covered, or they were covered with a cloth with glass or ceramic beads. Today electrical appliances are well insulated and protected. Every time cities will begin to put their power lines underground and make them more modern. Don't expect a solar storm to cause big problems again.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC

Does anyone know?
The Carrington event was estimated at an X50 to X80 while last weeks event was X5.8

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
The sun belched out an X8.79 flare earlier today. Not sure if it sent an Earth bound cme or not. What is interesting is if you look at the solar activity leading up to the Carrington Event was several months of enhanced solar activity and then 6 weeks of almost constant daily bombardments of CMEs from solar flares. Granted, they didn't have the modern tech we have to measure the size of the flares, outside of visual identification.

If you are at all interested in this, I'd highly recommend downloading the spaceweather app, it sends me a notification everytime there is a flare or whenever radio interference is caused by solar emissions.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
The sun belched out an X8.79 flare earlier today. Not sure if it sent an Earth bound cme or not. What is interesting is if you look at the solar activity leading up to the Carrington Event was several months of enhanced solar activity and then 6 weeks of almost constant daily bombardments of CMEs from solar flares. Granted, they didn't have the modern tech we have to measure the size of the flares, outside of visual identification.

If you are at all interested in this, I'd highly recommend downloading the spaceweather app, it sends me a notification everytime there is a flare or whenever radio interference is caused by solar emissions.
Most of that flare was not earth directed, but if the CME was big enough we may take a glancing blow

Reactions: Buffalo

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Most of that flare was not earth directed, but if the CME was big enough we may take a glancing blow
Yep. Saw that later on, as it was coming from sunspot 3664, which was the one that was really active over the last week. It will be interesting to see if that same spot survives it's trip around the backside of the sun. Now it looks like sunspot 3679 is following the same pattern as it's cousin that is departing. Had an x3.48 flare from it earlier today.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I always found it weird that after four thousand million years the Sun's contents haven't blended/distributed themselves evenly enough for its output to be more steady state/uniform.

There is an equally intriguing possible explanation, though...

For sufficiently advanced species, star creation requires only a thought, and they enjoy making flawed stars so they can sit back and watch the occupants of the orbiting ant-farms react and scramble.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 6.08.58 PM.png

Reactions: trouttimes

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I always found it weird that after four thousand million years the Sun's contents haven't blended/distributed themselves evenly enough for its output to be more steady state/uniform.

There is an equally intriguing possible explanation, though...

For sufficiently advanced species, star creation requires only a thought, and they enjoy making flawed stars so they can sit back and watch the occupants of the orbiting ant-farms react and scramble.

View attachment 310591
I would consider the sun to be incredibly steady/uniform. This steadiness has resulted in the ability for our planet to safely harbour life for hundreds of millions of years. Its gravity hasn't pulled us in, or pushed us away. The heat it provides has not been overly variable, in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty more volatile stars which certainly wouldn't permit a living planet in its vicinity, Betelguese being a relatively near example.
We have a propensity to over react to the Sun's output. The fear induced by the recent solar flare being a prime example. An ejection from our Sun may be powerful to affect our technology, but it won't render the planet uninhabitable.

Reactions: Buffalo

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I would consider the sun to be incredibly steady/uniform. This steadiness has resulted in the ability for our planet to safely harbour life for hundreds of millions of years. Its gravity hasn't pulled us in, or pushed us away. The heat it provides has not been overly variable, in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty more volatile stars which certainly wouldn't permit a living planet in its vicinity, Betelguese being a relatively near example.
We have a propensity to over react to the Sun's output. The fear induced by the recent solar flare being a prime example. An ejection from our Sun may be powerful to affect our technology, but it won't render the planet uninhabitable.

When Betelguese goes, it's going to be amazing to see, any day now.

The world we live in today is so dependent on electronics, that solar activity can and will have an actual effect on people's day to day live. As far as fear, yes there is some, but for the most part, I think fear can be countered with knowledge. Knowing that the sun is ramping up it's solar cycle and we will see more electronic disturbances. It's really no different than paying attention to the weather, if there is going to be a snowstorm, it's best to know ahead of time so you don't go out dressed in a board shorts and a tank top.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon