PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I know this is old hat to some of you. Gawith boxes are an issue for me. I am not comfortable leaving the tobacco in the box - they sometimes have mold, and will tend to dry out in my limited experience. Also 250g of tobacco is a large amount to bring into rotation at any one time.

Historically I have jarred tobacco in 2-4oz allotments, and lately have been using mylar bags.

So here are my options:
- put the entire SG box into a larger mylar bag. Problem is - once I open this - say in 10 years - what then? How does rebagging or jarring at that point work out?
- store the tobacco sans box in more appropriate quantities of tobacco. Here I have examples of 100g and 50 (or so) gram bags. That can translate into a lot of bags, depending what mass you choose. Also the flakes get broken up - and I love the sexy long fakes.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm sure some of you wrestle with this things at night......
sg bags.jpg

Reactions: Jshogan2

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I bought 7 boxes of FVF from the last shipment and chose Mylar for long term storage. I used the quart size bags and divided everything into 100g increments.

Reactions: Jshogan2

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
Tend to agree with mylar, mylar, mylar... it is the easy button for storing nearly any type of pipe tobacco.

Reactions: johng99

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I’ve got some whole boxes with cellophane in giant Mylar bags.

I have also opened some boxes, replaced the ziploc with Mylar, and boxed back up.

I prefer the second method so that I can check for mold and stuff first, but haven’t had a problem with either yet. Mold would be the main concern with option 1, which I admittedly had never been concerned about until this recent shipment had so many mold incidents (and I have a lot of KCF). I may have to open them up to check and RE-Mylar.

Reactions: shanez

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I jarred several hundreds of pounds and never had problems with mold. Buying bulk saves money, but you're going to have to jar increments now or later. Why not upon receipt and be done with it?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I put the whole box, still wrapped, in a big mylar bag. The more you handle tobacco, the greater the chance of mold, so I just leave it alone.
^^^^This.

If the tobacco has mold from the factory a jar isn't going to fix it. The only possible advantage would be that you could see the jar and maybe catch the mold before it grows to a point the whole batch is trash and you might salvage some, possibly, if you're lucky. OTOH, handling the tobacco just increases the risk of mold being introduced to the tobacco.

Reactions: trubka2
Status
Not open for further replies.