PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

This forum is raising my anxiety levels about the demise of our hobby and I am seriously thinking about cellaring for the first time. At UK prices, this would be a ruinously expensive endeavour, and there is a further issue (and apologies in advance if this has already been asked many times).

Many, if not most, tobaccos here are sold in pouches rather than tins, including my favourite: Mac Baren Scottish Mixture. Now, if I was to start tucking away, say, half a dozen pouches a month, would they be safe and for how long?

I don't trust myself to get the business of decanting it all into Kilner jars right.

Last edited by a moderator:

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
This forum is raising my anxiety levels about the demise of our hobby and I am seriously thinking about cellaring for the first time. At UK prices, this would be a ruinously expensive endeavour, and there is a further issue (and apologies in advance if this has already been asked many times).

Many, if not most, tobaccos here are sold in pouches rather than tins, including my favourite: Mac Baren Scottish Mixture. Now, if I was to start tucking away, say, half a dozen pouches a month, would they be safe and for how long?

I don't trust myself to get the business of decanting it all into Kilner jars right.
Stick your pouches in glass jars. They won't last forever in plastic pouches alone because water vapour can pass through the thin plastic.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Stick your pouches in glass jars. They won't last forever in plastic pouches alone because water vapour can pass through the thin plastic.

Would packing pouches into, eg, Tupperware be equally effective?

I'm just thinking in terms of ease of storage/space.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Would packing pouches into, eg, Tupperware be equally effective?

I'm just thinking in terms of ease of storage/space.
It's rare to find a resealable plastic container that seals well enough. If you really want plastic instead of glass, you need to look at containers with screw on lids, and gaskets.

Look at food items at the grocery store. You won't find snap on lids for a reason.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Look at food items at the grocery store. You won't find snap on lids for a reason.
4293f3e5-5492-4910-80d7-6a6065164e9d_1.2aff23656a6f89edde25c44a91be40b5.jpeg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That blend improves with aging, too, Even a couple of years does wonderful things to it.

Reactions: Seamaster

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You might consider finding some 100g tins. They’re the easiest to keep, since you can just toss them in a box in a closet and forget about them.

Also, you have impeccable taste in pipe tobacco. Scottish Mixture is a favourite.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Mylar bags are your friend. Seal the pouches up and forget about them. You don't need to periodically check the lids on your jars, worry about rust or a compromised seal, nothing. Furthermore, your cellar will be much lighter and portable than had you gone with jars and I believe mylar bags are cheaper over the long run than jars and lids.

If you find yourself needing to sell off part of your cellar down the road keeping the baccy in their original packaging will be better than selling jars of bulk also.

That blend improves with aging, too, Even a couple of years does wonderful things to it.
I think that this is and has been disputed by many. There are a lot of factors go into whether a blend will become better, worse, or not change at all, and I wouldn't bank on those OTC's pouches changing dramatically any time soon. But, if you are just saving some back to have in the future, then a glass jar is the tried and true way, but many have started experimenting with mylar bags... NOT plastic baggies.

Plastic is permeable to air, meaning air is passing through it... not at a rate that would keep a hamster alive for very long in a sealed one, but enough to degenerate your tobacco over time.

Reactions: Seamaster
Status
Not open for further replies.