PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have air tight jars for all of my non-tin samples, but should I jar a tin after it is opened? The tins seem pretty air tight. I am starting to open tins now (2 so far) and was curious if most if you just leave it in tin? I do like that the tin has larger circumference so spillage is easily caught.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Depends on the time you plan on having it open and the environment you'll have it open in. I sometimes open a tin and have it open for a year before finishing it. The tobacco gets pretty dry but still very smokeable. If I lived in a very dry area, that likely wouldn't work. I generally open tins for one to the weeks before starting to smoke them to allow the tobacco to breathe and dry out some. Perhaps you should experiment a bit too see what favors you.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
@Elric ’s post above is all that need be said here. And, what you’re describing is not “cellaring” …it’s preserving the quality of a blend. ?☕
Yeah, what Simmerdown said. When we're discussing cellaring, we're talking about blends we think benefit from long periods of unopened storage. Some cellar tins for years. I myself have never bothered yet. I'm not at all sure I'd even be able to tell the difference, or care either way. I'm happy to simply smoke my months-old tins and buy new ones. I have more tobacco right now than I could smoke in a year anyway.

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
Yes! Use a wide mouth mason jar, and make sure it's been cleaned and sterilized first to prevent mold. There's a ton of threads on here about this subject.
Thanks for the tip. I'm sure new members like me who have not read the archives yet will benefit from this. I didn't even think of sterilization. I hope some of my old jars are ok, going to have to check later now.

Reactions: monty55