PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
Hi all,

hope to be in the right blog to ask an help about a Charatan's nomeclature.

I think it's an hold pipe, and it's stamped EXTRA. Never saw on any Charatan's.

May someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Jul 15, 2011
You got a picture of this thing laying around somewhere? If you do, see if you can post it, or shoot it to me in an email. Ill take a look at it for you.

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
Thank you. Yes I got a couple of pictures, and please if you can tell me your mail i'll send you immediatly

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Alternatively, you could try to post it up here and we could all get a look. I mean, there isn't one of us who doesn't love to ogle others briar... :lol:

Welcome to the forums!

-Jason

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On a Chartan, that typically is stamped "Extra Large". Perhaps someone buffed off the "Large" stamping? See this ebay pipe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARATAN-DISTICTION-EXTRA-LARGE-PIPE-/380363221962
Definitely post a picture, unraveling these details is always fascinating!
A closeup of the "CP" on the stem is also helpful

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
Thank you very much all.

But no it's not and Extra Large buffed away.

Ehmm, pleasew how can i post a pic......

Thank you

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I upload my photos to Webshots.com, than chose "share" and copy that string directly into a reply message on the forum.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/580214182PQQLgy

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
well, by my know it's surely a very old pipe, because the CP on the stem it's very thin, and the P is compenetreted by the C. The stem it's not a Double confort,and the size it's around a generous "modern" 4 Dunhill. It seems to be a Dunhill billiard of the early '60.

Jul 15, 2011
Taking a look at the Pipedia website, the markings indicate that this pipe could have been made anywhere from the early to mid '60s all the way up to the early '70s, according to their date guide. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any information that was more specific than that, but in any case, it looks like you've got yourself a fairly old pipe that, from the photos, appears to be in pretty good condition.

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
Thank you very much. Well conditions are really excellent. The real reason I bought this pipe it's that I never saw a Charatan's stamped EXTRA.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a Charatans Collectors Society and this link has an email for a member who appears well versed in Charatans:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-collecting/international-charatan-collectors-society/
I don't find any "Extra" stamped pipe references anywhere on the web.
I did recently read Charatan was described as "a drinking club with a pipe making problem" as oddities abound.
Know that you know how to post pictures, lets see the rest of that baby!

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
I just uploaded another pic of this strange kind of Charatan's. It's a very very normal shape, except for the stamp.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a classic looking billiard! My After Hours billiard has some odd stampings as well, only a #3 on the briar. I think Charatan had some quality control issues in those days, but they sure smoke well!
Paco's pipe:

My After Hours billiard, this was a very tired estate I found in the bottom drawer in a PA shop. I almost got rid of it, because after restoration, I didn't like the way it smoked. But, after re-breaking it in, it smokes like a champ now.

paco

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
I got a certain number of Charatan's, but I have never found an afterhours at a resanable price. Hope to find it on ebay, or at my tobacconist.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was $35, but in awful shape. The pipe has a funky 70's era Disco feel to it, sort of like a down-and-out Wall Street broker in the Bowrey...

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
After Hours Charatan pipes are actually short shanked pipes with good bowls that were added with the plastic white shank extension. This way they salvaged a good bowl without trashing the pipe. The pipe you displayed in the photo, After Hours Walnut stain was priced at approx. $225. in 1983 according to my records. You did an exquisite job restoring the pipe and it will always have significant value to a collector. Great job.

Doc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Doc. Yep, Charatan was pretty crafty/frugal with their wood! I was actually able to get that stem even better when I rec'd my micro-mesh pads. I'm hanging onto this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.