PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’ve read many different historical accounts of how sailors would take plugs with them to sea; if the weather was favorable, they’d put it in their pipes, if it was unfavorable, they’d throw some in their cheek. Are these plugs the same we have today or are these different kinds of plugs? If they’re the same, could you (or would you want to), potentially chew one?

Reactions: Steddy and grimpeur

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As Mr. Embers says you can chew plug or twist - I do it all the time. If you want to take it a step further I was told I think by my Father that 'back in the day' people would chew it and then put it in their hat to dry out and then smoke it in their pipe. Sort of the tobacco world's answer to a twinky!

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I’ve read many different historical accounts of how sailors would take plugs with them to sea; if the weather was favorable, they’d put it in their pipes, if it was unfavorable, they’d throw some in their cheek. Are these plugs the same we have today or are these different kinds of plugs? If they’re the same, could you (or would you want to), potentially chew one?
As others have said, yes you can chew plug pipe tobacco.
The only real difference between pipe plug and stuff like "Days Work" or "Levi Garrett" chewing plug is the chewing style is loaded with molasses and other additives to make it "more pleasing."
I have tried smoking Days Work, it does not smoke great. :)

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I like chewing the Gawith twists, they are quite good. Although fair warning, if you want to try chewing a traditional twist they are quite a bit stronger than your Skoal/Cope you may be used to. The strength and flavor builds slowly, you think nothing much is going on and then all of a sudden the strength hits you :)

I was a pack a day smokerand regular skoal dipper when an old English miner back from the old country with some fresh brown twist offered me a piece. Being young and dumb I of course took him up on the offer. About 30 min later I was feeling pretty queasy and had to spit it out lol