PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
What artisan pipe makers who usually attend would use most want to add to your collection, cost aside?

Reactions: Nevaditude

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I’m excited to attend again. This year sounds even better than last year and last year was a great time! Looking forward to seeing a few people, smoking, eating and spending all the money I’ve been saving up this past year. Maybe even some learning and sight seeing in Chicagoland. I hope this show lasts for years to come. Thank you to everyone putting it together!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I didn’t realize that the chicago pipe show was happening already this year.

Wow @Said.ALTINAY is going all the way from Turkey! If you see this post Said, please post pics of your table and pipes! :)

PLEASE POST PICS! :)

P.S. @alaskanpiper seeing how the Mrs. let you out of the cage this year, PLEASE post pics! :)
Just thought I'd bump this in case @Said.ALTINAY or anyone else has any pics to share.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Ah just caught tail end of the livestream.

Congrats to Dirk on the win. All of the pipes looked incredible. Big ups to Huber and Prevost as well.

Such a fun event. Glad Jeff got this going. Hope he keeps it alive for years to come.
The Livestream is available HERE. It was great fun. Although it is on Jeff the Chef's channel, yours truly was the cameraman. We had originally planned to have the camera mounted on a tripod because we wanted to be sure not to get in the way of the carvers or obstruct the view of any of the audience. We pivoted after about 30 minutes and went handheld because the view wasn't very compelling. Yikes, I wasn't prepared for that! Big heavy lens. No gimbal. A little unsteady at times, but still pretty decent.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I really enjoyed the Chicago show. It lived up to all expectations. Since I like to actually smoke all my artisan pipes, I picked up several estates from Redeemed Pipes, including my first J Alan and two Tom Eltangs. I also picked up a new Adam Davidson billiard, which I’m smoking right now on my patio. I was excited to get the last of Andrew Sheehan’s (Carmette pipes) shown below, a beautiful tanblast. He’s a maker to watch.

I got to sit and talk to Erik Stokkebye and Per Jenson and met Brian Levine, whose podcast I really enjoy.

The trip was complete with a visit to Iwan Ries. I got a few of their signature tobacco jars shipped home. Their smoking lounge is beyond description.

I also enjoyed my first Chicago dog. That’s me in the shoulder sling with Erik Stokkebye. Even rotator cuff surgery wasn’t going to prevent this trip to pipe heaven.

Attachments

• IMG_4770.jpeg
    IMG_4770.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4821.jpeg
    IMG_4821.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4755.jpeg
    IMG_4755.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I really enjoyed the Chicago show. It lived up to all expectations. Since I like to actually smoke all my artisan pipes, I picked up several estates from Redeemed Pipes, including my first J Alan and two Tom Eltangs. I also picked up a new Adam Davidson billiard, which I’m smoking right now on my patio. I was excited to get the last of Andrew Sheehan’s (Carmette pipes) shown below, a beautiful tanblast. He’s a maker to watch.

I got to sit and talk to Erik Stokkebye and Per Jenson and met Brian Levine, whose podcast I really enjoy.

The trip was complete with a visit to Iwan Ries. I got a few of their signature tobacco jars shipped home. Their smoking lounge is beyond description.

I also enjoyed my first Chicago dog. That’s me in the shoulder sling with Erik Stokkebye. Even rotator cuff surgery wasn’t going to prevent this trip to pipe heaven.
Ha! I literally had pulled out my money to buy that very pipe from Adam Sheehan! I paused and asked Adam if he could make a similar one, minus the horn adornment. He said I shouldn't buy this one if I wasn't 100% in love with it, so I left it for you! I bought a beautiful pipe from him last year. The one you bought is super lightweight for its size, which I always think is a good sign of good smokes ahead.

I'm delighted to hear that our show met your expectations. Our team worked incredibly hard this year implementing many, many changes and it seems we mostly pulled it off. See you next year!!!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
For those staying at the Hyatt, ask for a room in the renovated tower in the back of the hotel.

I got one but will opt for the atrium next year. Very oddly the renovated tower rooms have no bureaus, nightstands, closets or desks. They only have a mini shoe drawer under a clothes rod. It’s almost as if the designer had no understanding of what transient guests commonly need.

Supposedly the atrium rooms have bureaus so that’ll be my choice next time.

That minor complaint aside I liked the venue.