PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Sorry, never had a mishap with the tree. Now, just after moving to a new town and out of an apartment when our oldest was 16 months I decided we would have a real tree. Brought it home and it needed some pruning and trimming to fit in the base. Had to borrow a saw (fine cut little cross cut) from the old neighbor next door. That tree had so much sap it completely gummed up his saw. I had no idea how to get that stuff off so ….. the neighbor got a new saw. Ever after - a dedicated little jagged pruning saw for outdoors and indoors lived in the garage.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I was always amazed at my two cats. I figured they would have the tree stripped bare of everything and laying in floor like kindling. Well, the most they ever did was sniff at couple of the lowest bulbs and then ignore the tree entirely. They occasionally would sleep under the tree when the bulbs were lit.

I like to get in the mood first, a little music, maybe a sip of wine, take in a deep breath of the prickly fir... ahhhh. Then I smack the tree stand a few times, bend it over to slowly insert my tree, slowly at first, then I really pound it in there, screwing down the wing nuts for a good hold. It's over when there is a spurt of water in the cup below the stand, where I drop an asprin in there. Best not to call it for a few days... keep it wondering if it did something or said the wrong thing. Then call it up at 3AM when your drunk and lonely. Trees love it when you do that. puffy

Jan 27, 2020
One year when I was in middle or high school after my parents divorced and it was my older brother and my responsibility to pick-out, cut and put up the tree the trunk was so damn crooked nothing we did would make it stay up right without tethering it to the wall with a hook. But, like a lot of memories what was a pain in the ass at the time is now one of the more memorable Christmases and one I reflect on fondly now. Christmas though, seems to have too many stressors for many, unreasonable expectations and such. No wonder most adults get extra hammered around the holidays...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
growing up it was always a bucket with a couple of bricks in it. Now I have this fancy tree stand technology with the wing nuts etc. I do remember hearing the 'thump' of the tree coming down one night, must have been a few years ago and lying in bed I knew exactly what just happened.