PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The wood was obviously not seasoned long enough to allow it to dry out sufficiently .
Hence the splits with heat.
Could have been spectacular if you had loaded it up and puffed away

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reheating and reshaping a stem is something a normal stem goes through 9, maybe 10 times in its lifetime correct? How will this stem take to being heated and bent? Will it be able to withstand a simple reshaping?

Test #3: Stem Reshaping

Let's see if the stem can reshaped by something every pipe smoker has: a heat gun and a nail.

The before:

20240210_191816.jpg

The after:

20240210_192427.jpg

The result? I'm impressed again that the plastic stem didn't burst into flames or melted goo. The bubbling on the underside of the stem was the result of some direct heat to the bottom, but I think if you were careful this stem would take a reshape very well.

Attachments

• 20240210_192333.jpg
    20240210_192333.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 3

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reheating and reshaping a stem is something a normal stem goes through 9, maybe 10 times in its lifetime correct? How will this stem take to being heated and bent? Will it be able to withstand a simple reshaping?

Test #3: Stem Reshaping

Let's see if the stem can reshaped by something every pipe smoker has: a heat gun and a nail.

The before:

View attachment 287446

The after:

View attachment 287463

The result? I'm impressed again that the plastic stem didn't burst into flames or melted goo. The bubbling on the underside of the stem was the result of some direct heat to the bottom, but I think if you were careful this stem would take a reshape very well.
Mike,
No way am I sending you one of mine to be “touched up” rotf

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
If your not gonna smoke it, I find this kind of pointless. You can do this stuff with any pipe. I still enjoy the thread though.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Wonder is that bowl coating is able to protect the wood from thermal shock, especially after freezing? Thinking of those who enjoy a pipe in the middle of winter…..

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, note to self... don't send pipes to Mike. LOL
Like others have said, I appreciate the efforts to test this pipe, but I think the real test would have been to actually smoke it. A torture test is one thing, but to prove it's worth, one would have to smoke it to see if it's truly worthy of being called a pipe.

Reactions: BenMN

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The knowledge ascertained during these tests, if not valuable, at least are highly entertainin.
This guy gets it

Wonder is that bowl coating is able to protect the wood from thermal shock, especially after freezing? Thinking of those who enjoy a pipe in the middle of winter…..
Whatever this stuff was, it is much different than the dipstaining stuff that was on my Vauen or Peterson. Who knows what it is made of or can protect against.

Well, note to self... don't send pipes to Mike. LOL
Like others have said, I appreciate the efforts to test this pipe, but I think the real test would have been to actually smoke it

I actually have cleaned up a few pipes quite well over the past few years. But smoking this one was never an option, but if you'd like to try you are more than welcome to buy a similar one and test it out.

Reactions: AroEnglish