PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I’ve been thinking of getting a churchwarden. Just wondering how many of you have them and what your opinions are on them? I’ve heard the stems can be a little bit of a hassle to clean. Maybe, you have a particular brand you enjoy?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had these several years ago but they fell into disuse.

img_20160103_085359-1.jpg

I guess these two would be churchwardens but it's more about them being meerschaum than the churchwarden idea that I enjoy about them.

20210909_012419.jpg

If you're getting one because you've heard they cool the smoke, that's a bit of a myth. With the speed that smoke travels through a pipe, it would have to be many feet long to make a real difference in the temperature.

RalphiesDad

Lurker
Jan 14, 2022
Eastern WA State
My wife bought me a KAF pear wood churchwarden from Amazon, I really like it. It's super light weight, and draws fantastic. I like the church for a sit-down smoke sesh, you can almost keep your elbow on an arm rest while bringing the pipe up for a puff. Would I smoke it in public? Too damn long imo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Savinelli 601 churchwarden with a billiard bowl, a fully arched stem, and no filter, that seems to capture the essence of the shape. I don't see them for sale much, but I think they are still around. If you want a small churchwarden, EWA sold by Iwan Ries makes good ones at low prices with removable stingers. I don't own one, but people seem to like their MM long stem pipes a lot. Definitely get a pack of churchwarden pipe cleaners to save hassle. I do have to make a point of smoking mine, since they are a little different experience in handling and most smoke them seated (mostly). In a chair with arms, you really exert little effort.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I just bought a cheap one to try it out. Cooler smoke or not, it feels the same like other short stem pipes, but hold it better when I am sitting, yes. I can rest my arm on the arm rest when holding the pipe.
You can buy longer pipe cleaner to clean it.
Extra: You'll feel like you're one of them in Lord Of The Rings ?

IMG_20220113_020004.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Technically the best "churchwarden" style pipe out there would be the Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur, maintaining the wide draft all the way through the long shank and the Missouri Meerschaum 80 cent plastic stem which has the most open draw of any factory pipe stem in history.
Besides that your best option is probably Nording, you can get a Churchwarden stem that will fit most of the "Nording Freehand" shaped pipes: Acrylic Churchwarden Stem (for Nording) | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/replacement-stems/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=432932

The Savinelli 601 also has a nice acrylic stem, but beyond that almost all Churchwardens use practically the same molded Ebonite stem with a thin button, which isn't bad but the only reason I'm not so much a fan of those is they don't leave much room to drill out the air channel for a better draw.

Last edited: