PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

msromike

Lurker
May 9, 2022
Bentonville AR
When a mixture lists "cigar" as one of tobaccos used in a pipe blend, what type of tobacco are they typically referring to? I have noticed that in some of the descriptions of various ropes, among others, "cigar" as a component tobacco of the blend.

I might have posted this in the wrong spot.

Last edited:

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I don’t know about the ropes but c&d says the cigar leaf in their blends is PA wrapper. In some blends they use kasturi. Their dark burley is the same stuff used in dry Italian cigars—toscanos, etc. the dark burley is air cured and piled like cigar leaf. I personally prefer the dark burley over the cigar leaf I’ve tried

It can be any cigar type. Most use a lighter cigar leaf, but some use the darker maduro. They usually don’t list the exact type, unless it is a rare or unusual type, like Katerini (spelling?).
The marketing jizz on the label is not a binding contract. It is just supposed to give you an idea of what the blend will be like.

For example, a pure virginia may have some burley in there. And, orientals could be any of a hundred different types. It’s just to pique your interest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think C&D Billy Budd is wrapper, but I don' know more than that. Kay Largo lists "velvety cigar wrapper leaf" on the tin.

I understand wrapper leaf comes from non-tobacco-belt states like Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

I like cigar leaf. C&D sells it separately as a condiment for mixing your own. I think it adds a nice tone to a blend, but I don't think the effect is like smoking a cigar. Cigars are engineered, if you will, for a certain taste and burn. In a pipe they are light and lively to me. A pipe sort of sets them free -- my highly subjective experience.

Reactions: shermnatman

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The wrapper is more like the grade, meaning that it is in great shape with no holes or tears, because it is used on the outside of the cigar. It still could be any of hundreds of different cigar leaf types.
C&d says their chopped cigar leaf is PA wrapper and they also say it is “a component found in their most popular cigar leaf blends.” So wouldn’t it be Pennsylvania broadleaf?

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
C&D cigar leaf is good for blending in about 25% if you want to really stout up a blend (and add some pepper), or 10% for something much more subtle. I've tried a couple of bowls straight up as well. Save that for Saturday night when you are max buzzing and don't need to get behind the wheel. Burley is quite nice as well for adding strength and nuttiness but not pepper.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Cigar-like can describe many a blend. I happen to find that CD Winchester is quite “cigar-like” and it’s made from Red Virginia and Unsweetened Burley Cavendish.

Others will surely jump aboard this thread.
I will second this opinion about Winchester. It took me a long time to find a blend that I found to be "cigar-like" and it is a favourite. I had tried through blends that advertised 'cigar leaf' and not found what I was looking for.

Since home growing though, finding those cigar notes is relatively simple.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would add that with each added year of home grown I am coming to terms with the idea that 'cigar like' is really 'tobacco like.' I guess what I mean is that I now smoke Winchester and think "that tastes like nice tobacco" rather than "that tastes cigar like".

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Sutliff specifically indicates that their TS-11 Cigar Leaf is loose cut, Pennsylvania Maduro tips.

In cigar lingo Maduro usually is used to mean dark; whereas, in Spanish, literally: ripe, from Latin mātūrus ripe, mature.

90% of the tabak grown in PA is Seedleaf Type 41. - Pennsylvania State Univ

Further Legal Definitions from Cornell Univ:

§ 30.39 Class 4; cigar-filler types and groups.

(a) Type 41. That type of cigar-leaf tobacco commonly known as Pennsylvania Seedleaf or Pennsylvania Broadleaf, produced principally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and adjoining counties and including other areas of Pennsylvania and Maryland in which the seedleaf variety is grown.

Groups applicable to type 41:
C - Stripper.
X - Straight Stripped.
Y - Farm Filler.
N - Nondescript, as defined.

(b) Type 42. That type of cigar-leaf tobacco commonly known as Gebhardt, Ohio Seedleaf, or Ohio Broadleaf, produced principally in the Miami Valley Section of Ohio and extending into Indiana.

(c) Type 43. That type of cigar-leaf tobacco commonly known as Zimmer, Spanish, or Zimmer Spanish, produced principally in the Miami Valley Section of Ohio and extending into Indiana.

(d) Type 44. That type of cigar-leaf tobacco commonly known as Dutch, Shoestring Dutch, or Little Dutch, produced principally in the Miami Valley Section of Ohio.

Groups applicable to types 42, 43, and 44:
X - Straight Stripped.
(e) Type 46. That type of cigar-leaf tobacco commonly known as Puerto Rican Filler, produced principally in the inland and semicoastal areas of Puerto Rico.

Groups applicable to type 46:
C - Strippers.
X - Grinders.
S - Scrap, as defined.

Interesting this: When Middleton was still producing their Home Blending Kit - which we have been discussing on the Pipe Lovers Magazine My Favorite Blend Monthly Contest Winners Thread THREAD IS HERE - both Middleton and Pipe Lover's Mag refer to Cigar Leaf for blending purposes as HAVANA
Havanna_tin.jpeg

One has to wonder if Middleton - A Pennsylvania Based Company - was using tried and true Lancaster County, Pennsylvania grown Seedtype 41 PA Broadleaf for their Havana; or, did John Middleton actual import cigar leaf from Cuba ? ;)

For my own Home Blending purposes, I use C&D Cigar Leaf, or, Sutliff TS-11 Cigar Leaf. If that's too strong for your palate, you can substitute downwards with either Dark Fire Cured Kentucky if you like strength with some smokiness, or, even further with Dark Burley

Hope that information answers your question and helps. - Sherm Natman

Last edited:
Reactions: MattRVA

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Opps!.. I forgot to mention the most basic part of the answer to your question: PA Broadleaf 41 is a specific strain of Burley.

As I understand it (?) Pennsylvania Broadleaf 41 is grow primarily for Cigar Filler, and differs from it Connecticut cousin, in that PA 41 can also be used for snuff, chewing tobacco and other products; has a much more rustic look; is thicker than its Connecticut counterpart and harder to work with.

And most importantly, PA Broadleaf 41 imparts a bold spicy-sweetness, whereas Connecticut tends to be a sweeter, more rounded smoke.

YMMV

Also, some PA 41 is grown in the State of Maryland; whereas, some "Maryland" tabak is grown in PA, which is a fascinating specific hybrid varietal !!

I think the above is really all we need know which is actually of use to us. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: MattRVA

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I will second this opinion about Winchester. It took me a long time to find a blend that I found to be "cigar-like" and it is a favourite. I had tried through blends that advertised 'cigar leaf' and not found what I was looking for.

Since home growing though, finding those cigar notes is relatively simple.

Are there any others that are close? My dad is coming to visit in a few weeks and he’s a dedicated cigar smoker. He says he doesn’t like the idea of a pipe because everything smells too sweet. To be fair, his exposure has been B&M house blends that he sees/smells when cigar shopping; undoubtedly goopy aromatics in glass jars.

I was hoping to grab a few tins of pipe tobacco that smell/taste as close to a cigar as possible to try to convert him while he’s here; but I don’t really care for cigars so I tend to stay away from any of those blends.

Thanks!

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Are there any others that are close? My dad is coming to visit in a few weeks and he’s a dedicated cigar smoker. He says he doesn’t like the idea of a pipe because everything smells too sweet. To be fair, his exposure has been B&M house blends that he sees/smells when cigar shopping; undoubtedly goopy aromatics in glass jars.

I was hoping to grab a few tins of pipe tobacco that smell/taste as close to a cigar as possible to try to convert him while he’s here; but I don’t really care for cigars so I tend to stay away from any of those blends.

Thanks!

How about some C&D Cigar Leaf, or Sutliff TS-11 Cigar Leaf... Can't get much closer to a cigar than that.

Alternately, you could simply pack him bowl of the filler tabak from his favorite brand of store bought cigar; or simply cut the end of one his stogies into a coin with a razor blade and let him try his favorite cigar thru a pipe. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: BarrelProof

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand

Thanks!
I have a different conversion technique to suggest. Take a cigar and slice thin coins off it with your cigar cutter. Pack that inch of cigar into an hour or two of pipe bowl.

And winchester!!!

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
As a 25 year cigar smoker and recent convert to pipes, I have really enjoyed C&D Habana Daydream which you can get in bulk. I did score a 4 year old tin so that may have something to do with it, but I've found it to be a very nicely balanced blend with no bite. I also like to use burley and cigar leaf to cut aromatics and Englishes to make them a little more to my tastes. Burley tends to agree with my cigar-loving mouth. Virginias smoke very hot to me.

Your dad also might like something like Sutliff J4 burley or Sutliff 79 mixed with a bit of cigar leaf.