Cigar V Smoker: When Does Cigar Quality Matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
To start with a practical scenario: I've got a small assortment of fine Cigars (e.g. Oliva Serie V), but have no clue when it would be appropriate to smoke them because my level of experience is nowhere close to matching the quality they offer.

Starting from practically zero Cigar experience, how far into my schedule should I plan on breaking out a decent Cigar? And How do you count Cigar Experience?
-Total time with a stick in your mouth?
-Variety of Tobaccos smoked?
-Maybe Learning to manage a Humidor? (How far can an affordable Cigar be elevated?)

At what point should a person experiment with even more expensive Cigars? (if ever)

When was your "Aha" moment, when the Cigar game made sense and you specifically found one thing you enjoy over another?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I only smoke Davidoff's, usually from the Aniversario Series; a box of 20 runs me somewhere between $450 and $600, so these are $25 to $30 cigars...I am very conscientious about when, the time I set aside and how I smoke them.

Most take me about an hour to smoke and I always make sure that I'm not rushed into anything afterward that may spoil the enjoyment of the cigar. I don't use a humidor. The cigars come in a nice cedar box anyway, so I just throw a few Bovida packs in them. I also just go through a box then buy another box...I don't buy several types and store them.

I approach cigars like I do pipes, it's really not that complicated although some people will go to extremes with all the finer details of storage, cutting, smoking, etc...I find I enjoy both hobbies more if I keep it simple.

That's what I do.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Try to smoke the best.And it will be easer....................I like the red bright blade matures..........in special...........my favorite are Partagás and H Upmann............smokes just like a pipe,enjoying slowly smoked............It's like playing a guitar of 20 dollars or 6000 dollars.............

Last edited:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
My first cigar that I ever enjoyed was recommended to me by a clerk at the tobacconist. A Diamond Crown. What an unlucky guy I was to fall in love with such an expensive cigar! I tried for a few years to find a more affordable alternative, but nothing even came close to what I was looking for. So, instead of hunting for a cheaper cigar, I decided to buy a supply of DCs to have, and then explored other cigars. Now I have a whole list of cigars I enjoy, for different flavor moods. I smoke them like pipes. Long, slow draws, only when I have time to set aside and relax. That being said, I haven’t done much smoking lately haha.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You should care about quality when you can appreciate a cigar, enjoy it and tell the difference between a fine cigar and a dog rocket. The vast majority of people I see smoking cigars have no freaking clue and are posers. You could take a dog turd, wrap a cigar wrapper around it and install a Cohiba band and they'd think they're in tobacco heaven. I have seen countless people acting like they were King Shit smoking fake Cubans.

IMHO, most folks should start with some milder cigars such as Fuente, Ashton or Avo. See if you enjoy those. Then move to something stronger with Nicaraguan tobacco. Or not. Some of those milder cigars have great flavors, just not much body or nicotine.

I think the question to ask is if you're looking for flavor or are you looking for a nicotine delivery vehicle?

1. If you are buying from a B&M with a humidor, you can smoke it immediately. If you buy online, it is best if you rest it for a month
2. Any time you feel an urge to smoke a cigar, have 1 hour to 90 minutes available, and have a place to smoke - is the perfect time to smoke a cigar
3. How would you enjoy your cigar experience is up to you. Ask yourself - what are you trying to accomplish by smoking a cigar? Personally I smoke a cigar because I like the flavor and the nicotine
4. You need to invest a minimum amount for a good cigar. Beyond that - It is your taste! Sometimes you find the expensive cigars are value for money. Other times they will not agree with you. For example I absolutely love Padron 1926 Serie which most will say, is an expensive cigar. On the other hand, I bought a few limited edition Viaje Zombie which were good, but shoddily constructed (Which I think is a crime based on the price they charged) and grossly overvalued due to marketing.
5. If your goal is to impress your friends (I totally understand it’s a valid goal) you can buy limited edition expensive cigars and it will give you immense joy - On the other hand if your goal is to have a stellar taste, there are a lot of beautiful cigars in the 7-10$ range (B&M price, online you get much cheaper) including the Oliva you plan to smoke
6. For various reasons I hoard pipe tobacco but that’s the only thing I hoard. I don’t believe in buying cigars which I will not smoke in the next 8-12 months or hoard alcohol which I will not drink immediately, or hoard anything else for that matter

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Both cshubra and hossierpipe have great cigar advice as always....I'd add don't over-think cigars. My two cents only:

• If starting out and you don't yet have a humidor.....buy one of the 25 count Jar (plastic) humidors and a 69% Boveda pack to stick in there. Get one from a quality cigar/tobacco vendor as opposed to cheapest Amazon $3.99 special (it's going to be inexpensive from vendor). This is fine for low-count, frequent smoking storage. You change pack some months down the road when it starts to stiffen/dry up. Easy.

• As cshubra mentions, put the sticks in and let 'settle' for a bit. I usually say two weeks if arriving in the post rather than bough in a store.

• Have a decent cutter that can cleanly snip a bit off the cap. Get a decent charring light on the foot, then be sure you've got a complete light when you get smoking. Don't hot-box/over-puff.....you don't have to 'sip' like a pipe, but don't be taking a puff every five seconds.

• From the good advice above, cigars are all about the flavor you enjoy/can handle. They won't be hidden behind technique as much as pipes, but that doesn't mean you'll love what you get. Any decent vendor will have a "mild-medium-strong" kind of indicator, play at the softer end of the pool and find your pallet. Let your wallet decide what makes sense for you....just like any 'taste' endeavor some of the most expensive treats may be approachable flavor-wise but will you have the experience to fully enjoy. If it's no big deal to your to spend $20+ a stick, you might not care. Flavor will be approachable much quicker than picking up pipes for the first time....it's just clocking it to your pallet. When you go to smoke a cigar, have the time available to enjoy what you want out of it....relighting is (for most) no bueno.

In general, don't believe 80% of the ritual BS around cigars...a lot of pure BS out there. In pipes at least there's a reality to mastering technique and pack/cadence that plays into the BS.....cigars just keep em' at a decent RH and don't hot-box...it's not that much more than that. Once you find what you like and you start accumulating....plenty of resources out there around larger humidors/aging. I don't recommend the "CeLLarwhATJArSOHMYGOSHI'veGOtTOCellartHeCellar" dance that new folks to pipes go through with cigars...but that's just me. ;) Smoke em', enjoy em', don't stress on em'.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
1. Si está comprando en un B&M con humidor, puede fumarlo inmediatamente. Si compra online, lo mejor es que lo descanse durante un mes
2. Cada vez que sienta la necesidad de fumar un cigarro, tenga de 1 hora a 90 minutos disponibles y tenga un lugar para fumar, es el momento perfecto para fumar un cigarro.
3. Depende de usted cómo disfrutaría su experiencia con los cigarros. Pregúntese: ¿qué está tratando de lograr fumando un puro? Personalmente fumo un puro porque me gusta el sabor y la nicotina
4. Necesita invertir una cantidad mínima para un buen puro. Más allá de eso, ¡es tu gusto! A veces encuentras que los puros caros tienen una buena relación calidad-precio. Otras veces no estarán de acuerdo contigo. Por ejemplo, me encanta la serie Padron 1926, que la mayoría dirá que es un cigarro caro. Por otro lado, compré unos Viaje Zombie de edición limitada que eran buenos, pero mal construidos (que creo que es un crimen por el precio que cobraron) y muy sobrevalorados debido al marketing.
5. Si tu objetivo es impresionar a tus amigos (entiendo totalmente que es un objetivo válido) puedes comprar puros caros de edición limitada y te dará una alegría inmensa. Por otro lado, si tu objetivo es tener un sabor estelar, hay muchos puros hermosos en el rango de 7-10 $ (precio de B&M, en línea se obtiene mucho más barato), incluido el Oliva que planea fumar
6. Por varias razones, acumulo tabaco de pipa, pero eso es lo único que acumulo. No creo en comprar puros que no fumaré en los próximos 8-12 meses ni en acumular alcohol que no beberé de inmediato, ni en acumular nada más.
100%?

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
  • If starting out and you don't yet have a humidor.....buy one of the 25 count Jar (plastic) humidors and a 69% Boveda pack to stick in there. Get one from a quality cigar/tobacco vendor as opposed to cheapest Amazon $3.99 special (it's going to be inexpensive from vendor). This is fine for low-count, frequent smoking storage. You change pack some months down the road when it starts to stiffen/dry up. Easy.
Amazon: Pelican Case 1060 or 1050. Airtight, with pressure release valve, maintained great environment with Boveda packs. Very solid case, comes in a few sizes. I have a few, makes travel easy. They are typically $23 or less. Waterproof as well.

Reactions: JOHN72

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
You should care about quality when you can appreciate a cigar, enjoy it and tell the difference between a fine cigar and a dog rocket. The vast majority of people I see smoking cigars have no freaking clue and are posers. You could take a dog turd, wrap a cigar wrapper around it and install a Cohiba band and they'd think they're in tobacco heaven. I have seen countless people acting like they were King Shit smoking fake Cubans.

IMHO, most folks should start with some milder cigars such as Fuente, Ashton or Avo. See if you enjoy those. Then move to something stronger with Nicaraguan tobacco. Or not. Some of those milder cigars have great flavors, just not much body or nicotine.

I think the question to ask is if you're looking for flavor or are you looking for a nicotine delivery vehicle?
There's a lot of truth here. I remember attending the second round of the PGA Championship back in 2009 and, while I was smoking my (authentic) Ramon Allones Specially Selected being approached by a guy selling fake Cohibas from a glass-top box. I laughed at him and turned him down, but I'm sure he made a killing selling dog rockets wrapped in fake bands that day.

Fuente and Avo are good places to start for milder smokes. Also, some of Perdomo line, especially the Champagne series. Ashtons are excellent, but some lines are stronger than others (I LOVE the Virgin Sun Grown series, but they are not "starter" cigars).

When I got into it, I explored cigars like I do pipe tobacco, trying many different brands and lines. Membership in a forum such as this with trading opportunities really helped, as well as cigarbid, where I could buy 5 packs to sample for much cheaper than retail. For me, my two big "aha" moments were the first time I smoked a Don Pepin and realized that I REALLY liked Nicaraguan leaf (The Pepin blue in the Toro size is still my favorite non-Cuban cigar), and the first time I smoked a Ramon Allones Specially Selected, which became my favorite attainable Cuban cigar (the Cohiba Lanceros is just too expensive for my budget). This was 15 years ago, however, and the market is much bigger and more complicated now. There are a lot of really crappy cigars being made these days to take advantage of the boom, and it can be hard to suss out what is quality and what isn't.

Two brands I would avoid are Rocky Patel (with the exception of the Vintage 90 and 92 smokes, which are excellent medium bodied smokes) and Gurhka, which are overpriced hype driven pieces of crap.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Amazon: Pelican Case 1060 or 1050. Airtight, with pressure release valve, maintained great environment with Boveda packs. Very solid case, comes in a few sizes. I have a few, makes travel easy. They are typically $23 or less. Waterproof as well.
No doubt. I was thinking more on the plastic hinge jars ('cookie jar style). My neighbor wanted to save the $5 delta from buying one from a tobacco retailer, and got one from Amazon with basically an ornamental-only 'gasket'.

Reactions: jttnk

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd say when ever you feel it. There isn't any real reason to wait. The only legit reason is because you want to wait. I strongly agree with something someone said to me a long time ago. Cigarettes are for smoking, cigars for enjoyment, and pipes are for savoring. No one can tell you a proper way to enjoy cigars just what's worked for them. Also it's not really a skill to smoke a cigar. To safe them for late makes as much sense as waiting to eat a dish latter. But there isn't a don't eat a good steak until you've had enough hamburgers to know how to enjoy the steak.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I say always buy quality (which is not indicated by price, BTW). My favorite cigars happen to be in the $4-8ish range. Lucky me. I've tried many high dollar sticks and most aren't necessarily worth their price tag. Some of the high end Fuente are worth their weight when bought at MSRP.

The main thing is to try, try, try. Focus on variety until you start figuring out what you like, then start buying boxes. Unlike the advice above, I did not start on mild cigars, but started with the Nicaraguans and other powerhouses. It wasn't until I discovered Havana tobacco and really started exploring Fuente's milder offerings that I came around to them.

Another thought is when you find cigars that wow you, come to the forum and share and ask for recommendations. Based on what you like, folks can suggest other blends that are similar.

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
1. Life is too short for crappy cigars.
2. What constitutes a crappy cigar is purely subjective based on your tastes
3. Don't let others tell you what is and what isn't a crappy cigar (see rule #2)
4. If you enjoy it, it's not a crappy cigar
5. Proper humidification/storage WILL affect the level of crappiness of a cigar -- take the appropriate action.

Everything else is just unnecessary fluff.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Learning to smoke cigars is much easier than pipes. You know how much time you have just select a cigar that fills up the time. Be sure the cigar is long filler. Just because a cigar costs a lot of money doesn't mean it is a good smoke but when you staring at humidor filled with cigars you aren't familiar it is at least a decent guide. Gurkhas are very poor so automatically exclude them. There are so many good/great cigars out there it can overwhelm a guy so be sure to keep records so you have something to refer to.
And above all don't inhale even if you can.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
To start with a practical scenario: I've got a small assortment of fine Cigars (e.g. Oliva Serie V), but have no clue when it would be appropriate to smoke them because my level of experience is nowhere close to matching the quality they offer.

Starting from practically zero Cigar experience, how far into my schedule should I plan on breaking out a decent Cigar? And How do you count Cigar Experience?
-Total time with a stick in your mouth?
-Variety of Tobaccos smoked?
-Maybe Learning to manage a Humidor? (How far can an affordable Cigar be elevated?)

At what point should a person experiment with even more expensive Cigars? (if ever)

When was your "Aha" moment, when the Cigar game made sense and you specifically found one thing you enjoy over another?
I only smoke what I would consider very expensive cigars....Davidoffs in particular; box price of 20 usually anywhere between $475 and $700, so I take great care in scheduling my smoking time around one.

To answer your questions in order:
1. Total time depends on a lot of things, most important of which is the ring gauge...the thicker it is the longer it will take (obviously length too, but not as much as ring gauge). The ring gauge of my cigars I prefer to be somewhere around a 50/52 or so. My cigars take roughly an hour to smoke with the stick in my mouth about 50% of that time which is probably more than most people, but Davidoffs are such high quality, it's hard not to chew on them while smoking.
2. Not quite sure what you mean by that second question. Cigars have 3 basic components, filler, binder and wrapper. Most of the time in quality cigars the binder and filler are the same but different from the wrapper--and wrappers are usually some sort of Connecticut wrapper in the milder cigars (like a Davidoff), but many times all three are different, especially in lower quality cigars (by different I mean anything from source, to growing technique, to curing...far more complicated than pipe tobacco for sure).
3. I used a humidor for decades until dependable Bovida packs have come out. Since then I just throw 1 small 69% RH pack per 5 cigars in the box the cigars come in, and that seems to be perfectly fine for keeping them up to about 5 or 6 months (like I do...I go through about 2 1/2 boxes a year). Humidors are a pain and I would now avoid using one if I were you unless you plan on having an assortment of singles...if you are just buying whole boxes at a time, Bovedas in the box they came in works fine.
4. I've tried dozens upon dozens of cheaper cigars, but the $30 cigar, so to speak, has always just been so much better, I can't even get through 1/3 of a cheaper one these days without gagging and throwing it away. So to me it's always been worth it to invest in more expensive cigars, but that's just my opinion. My son can smoke cheaper cigars without an issue, but I never could. Really in the end, it all just depends on how deep your pockets are; to me, cigars are like investing in the markets, at some point, you have to be able to sleep at night.
5. Never really had an aha moment...I've always enjoyed smoking cigars and pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.