SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Planning to visit Niagara, Ontario Canada this long weekend. I normally do not get any personal time in a family trip, but I am hoping I can get an hour for myself and get a few cigars.

1. I found the following shop which is highly rated in Google/Yelp. Anyone has any personal experience with them?

2. What are some of the the cigars to buy?

3. I know cigars are expensive in Canada but any idea how expensive?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Niagra is beautiful. It has been probably 20 or so years since I have been there so I can't help with a store recommendation. Some of my favorite Cuban cigar brands over the years were Cohiba, Romeo and Julietta and Trinidad. For a large ring gauge I would expect to pay around $30 CDN and up. The prices vary greatly province to province. Depending on your route into Canada, I would try to stop somewhere else for cigars before you hit the tourist trap area of Niagra. Good luck on your search and enjoy the trip.

Reactions: cshubhra

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Hope you got away from the Clifton Hill area of Niagara - it really is nice down there.

Glad you found some good sticks there too
Agree with that wholeheartedly! Clifton Hill is like shoulder to shoulder human soup. I live about an hour away and don’t go near the place.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We went on a fishing trip to the Zec region of Quebec about 10 years ago. We stopped in Montreal, to pick up some Cuban cigars. We found a mall store and Cubans were around $30 Canadian, then!

Looks like you scored well!

We drove back into the US in a van, stuffed with five guys and fishing gear. The driver at that time, was a non-cigar guy and kind of angry at us for diverting 1.5 hours into Montreal for cigars. (3 extra hours, on an 18 hour drive). We had saved our domestic/South American cigar bands, to slip on these (we each had about a dozen). That was our plan, and they were down in fishing tackle. (not sure that was smart). At the border, our non-smoking driver was very nervous. The Canadian border agent asked him where were from. He said "North America". We burst out laughing said we're from the United States. He laughed, and waved us thru.

Personally, I found them the cigars a little undewhelming and that scratched my itch for Cubans.

Reactions: JOHN72 and cshubhra
I have a place in Niagara and even I don't buy cigars here, lol. In any event, hope you had a good time.
This Cigar store was away from the touristy area, sold only cigars and nothing else and had a fairly large walk in humidor - larger than most I typically have seen in New Jersey.

It was highly rated in both Google and Yelp and looked like people who are in Buffalo NY often pop over the border for a smoke.
The other option was to drive to Toronto but adding a stop further away on a family vacation would not be very interesting.

I got this to get the Cuban experience as there are only very limited ways to get them legally in the USA.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Personally, I found them the cigars a little undewhelming and that scratched my itch for Cubans.
My only Cuban experience so far was a few cigars gifted by the forum member danimalia. I loved them, but in comparison to Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars, I don’t think I am missing much. Having said that I thought it would be nice to try it again.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
My only Cuban experience so far was a few cigars gifted by the forum member danimalia. I loved them, but in comparison to Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars, I don’t think I am missing much. Having said that I thought it would be nice to try it again.
It's been said a million and one times, it's the aging potential that makes them different. My buying spree was around 2015 and a hand full here and there. They are better with 5 plus years usually, not always.