PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
This is my first time posting on this form, I have smoked cigars for several years and a few months ago on a whim I bought a pipe and some tobacco. Five months later, I have an impressive collection of estate pipes and have tried many blends of tobacco to see what I'd like I am shocked that I no longer have any interest in cigars. I have over 50 in my humidor and haven't touched one in over a month. I'm sure I will get back to it because I can't let those premium cigars go unsmoked. But, I have found the hobby and lifestyle of pipe smoking suits my temperament, much better. I never thought I would lose interest in cigars but there you have it. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this experience?

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Hello and welcome. I’m from PA also! I was the same. I used to smoke cigars but they got too expensive for my taste so I tried a pipe a few weeks back and I love it! What part of PA you from?

Reactions: kcghost and Coreios

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is my first time posting on this form, I have smoked cigars for several years and a few months ago on a whim I bought a pipe and some tobacco. Five months later, I have an impressive collection of estate pipes and have tried many blends of tobacco to see what I'd like I am shocked that I no longer have any interest in cigars. I have over 50 in my humidor and haven't touched one in over a month. I'm sure I will get back to it because I can't let those premium cigars go unsmoked. But, I have found the hobby and lifestyle of pipe smoking suits my temperament, much better. I never thought I would lose interest in cigars but there you have it. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this experience?
sort of. Not as interested in Cigars as pipes. But the thing is I still really enjoy cigars when I have one. But pipes are just more interesting and lower commitment. If I step out for a pipe and don't feel like finishing it not the same as getting ten minutes into a Churchill

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have found the hobby and lifestyle of pipe smoking suits my temperament, much better. I never thought I would lose interest in cigars but there you have it. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this experience?
I smoked a pipe in the '70s until mid-1980s when the kids came along.
I quit then as I'd promised my wife a non-smoking household when we have kids.
Took up cigars when the boys finished school, and smoked cigars exclusively for 15 years
Re-started pipes on a whim in 2018, and here I am puffy

I smoke cigars still, mainly when I am with cigar smoking mates.
Most of the time it's pipes, as I enjoy the flavour of pipe tobacco much more than cigars now.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
lower commitment. If I step out for a pipe and don't feel like finishing it not the same as getting ten minutes into a Churchill
Very true, that's what's keeping me from buying any appreciable number of cigars - it's expensive! A pipe bowl may cost $1-2 so chucking it is no big deal.

Re OP: it's not, or it doesn't have to be either/or, both are good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Very true, that's what's keeping me from buying any appreciable number of cigars - it's expensive! A pipe bowl may cost $1-2 so chucking it is no big deal.

Re OP: it's not, or it doesn't have to be either/or, both are good.
And you get familiar with your pipes too. They all have a story. A cigar is like a nice meal and a pipe is like a nice meal with your favorite dinner partner.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
For me there two separate experiences. I have been smoking both cigars and pipes since I graduated high school in 2002. Cigars were a main focus until about 5 years ago then pipes took the lead. I smoke about 4-5 bowls a day and 2-4 cigars a week. Mainly on the weekends. I don’t think I’ll ever choose one or the other as it just depends on what mood I’m in. Just keep the humidity constant on your cigars and you will probably go back to them at some point once the newness of pipes wares off. Then the cigars will have some age on them.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Welcome from Richmond Virginia
Ive dabbled in pipes for 39 years and Cigars for 36 years. I can say between the two the pipes are way more versatile, time commitment friendly and more satisfying for me.
If you’ve reached this point then pipes should work for you going forward. I always say that with pipes and cigars the styles, brands,blends and intensity of tobacco choose you and not the other way around.
In the words of Hunter S Thompson “Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride”
IMG_5782.jpeg

Reactions: BenMN and Medy

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
For the last 50 years or so I have been going back and forth between cigars and the pipe! I started way back when, with cigars, but only after a few years I was into pipes. I have been back and forth four or five times. However, the cost of cigars (one cigar of what I like, for the price of a tin, and more) and the inconsistency of cigars along with the long-term storage issues and expense turned me full time to the pipe! Note: I will on a rare occasion indulge in a cigar or two!

• Love

'olbuzzsaw

Lurker
Apr 11, 2024
Northwest Indiana
Welcome from Northwest Indiana! I personally enjoy both and can switch between the two but it is one or the other in any single day. My approach is more of an opportunistic route. If the weather is hot and sunny it's a cigar and walking the dog. The colder days are definitely greeted with a bowl because the smoke time is much less and can be interrupted if need be. Above all I can do whatever I am feeling at the time. I totally get becoming obsessed with only pipe tobacco as it is reflected in my bank statements of late.

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
I have recently re-discovered pipe smoking and absolutely love it now. I find it to be a lot more contemplative a pursuit than cigar smoking, which I usually tie to social situations. Both still have a place in my relaxing time.