PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
My wife isn’t a big fan of cigar smoke either. She tolerates it, but doesn’t even like being around it when we’re outside and will keep her distance. She came home the other day while I had some Cavendish going on the patio and said it smelled wonderful. I’m trying to convince her that it wouldn’t be too bad to fire up a bowl every now and then in our finished basement. Still work to be done there.
Very similar experience, wife won't be anywhere near a cigar but will sit outside while I'm piping and will occasionally compliment the room note.

File Under: Happy Wife, Happy Life!

• Love
Reactions: AreBee

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It depends! Mine can't stand the smell of Kentucky or Latakia, but especially abhors Warhorse Bar. Virginias and aros she's tolerating. She'll also force me to a shower after I've had a Toscano cigar.

Reactions: AreBee

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I love both, but my overall preference is for pipes. They're such a highly individualized experience, and I find them to be very conducive to relaxation, contemplation, and the occasional bit of tabletop and boardgaming, provided all involved don't mind my smoking. I also find, generally speaking, pipe smoke is less pungent, and when certain precautions are taken, I can smoke inside safely without fouling up the room I am in. That's not reasonable with cigars.

But cigars have their advantages too! They have a boldness and length of finish rarely seem in most pipe tobaccos. They are simple to enjoy. And most importantly, conducive to socializing. I can share cigars by a campfire and rattle on ceaselessly without a care. I can't share my pipe, and since I don't like clenching for extended periods, inattentiveness means more relights.

Both are wonderful though. A full humidor and several jars of pipe tobacco are real blessings.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I prefer the pipe and various flavors you can get. I do like cigars occasionally but as other mentioned...time committment and cash. At least with over spending on pipes you can trade and sell them. Not much to do but compost left over cigar.