PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know what you are talking about, little hints of cedar from time to time. But, I can't recall what the cigars were. But, it's been a long time since I've had one with cedar notes. Is this like a Connecticut wrapper thing, or what tobaccos type to you attribute it to?
It seems to be filler-related. I’m not 100% sure what actually gives a cedar flavor in the cigar. Most Fuente have it. Cubans have it a lot but I should have clarified: non-Cubans. I’m not dropping the coin on them.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Cedar is one of those flavors I don't tend to pick as easily, so, you know, grain of salt and all..

- Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R
- La Galera Connecticut and Habano
- La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet
- Illusione Epernay
- Punch (the plain old' Honduran core brand version with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Oh, I forgot to mention the Ashton VSG and Diamond Crown Maximum, though you are certainly getting into Habano territory as far as price goes. Feel like it may be common with Sumatra-seed wrappers... Have you had the Oliva Melanio? They are nominally expensive, but always available on sale or auction (usually the robustos), so no need to spend too much.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It seems to be filler-related. I’m not 100% sure what actually gives a cedar flavor in the cigar. Most Fuente have it. Cubans have it a lot but I should have clarified: non-Cubans. I’m not dropping the coin on them.
The Cedar flavor, or note, comes from being aged for months in Cedar lined rooms. Either the finished cigar, or the wrapper leaves are aged. 70-80% of the flavor of a cigar comes from the wrapper leaf. Packaging the cigars in boxes made of Cedar will impart the flavor also, and Cuban cigars aren't packaged in cellophane.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Cedar is one of those flavors I don't tend to pick as easily, so, you know, grain of salt and all..

- Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R
- La Galera Connecticut and Habano
- La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet
- Illusione Epernay
- Punch (the plain old' Honduran core brand version with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers)
Ashton Cabinet
Yeah I’ve heard Ashton have it. Haven’t tried a natural from them. Also Davidoff
The Cedar flavor, or note, comes from being aged for months in Cedar lined rooms. Either the finished cigar, or the wrapper leaves are aged. 70-80% of the flavor of a cigar comes from the wrapper leaf. Packaging the cigars in boxes made of Cedar will impart the flavor also, and Cuban cigars aren't packaged in cellophane.
I’m for cheapies haha. La Perla Habana Classic have a good cedar note. Forgot to mention those.

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions.

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Oh, I forgot to mention the Ashton VSG and Diamond Crown Maximum, though you are certainly getting into Habano territory as far as price goes. Feel like it may be common with Sumatra-seed wrappers... Have you had the Oliva Melanio? They are nominally expensive, but always available on sale or auction (usually the robustos), so no need to spend too much.
Are the melanio all “Serie v”?

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
The Melanios are a line extension of the regular Serie V. The Melanios have Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers as opposed to the Nicaraguan Habano-seed wrappers on the original Serie V. I think the Melanios are smoother and more refined and might have a bit of subtle cedar sweetness to them... The originals are earthier and spicier (and also quite good).

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Since I couldn't identify the taste, I took a bite out of the cedar siding on the house. Still couldn't identify the taste. Maybe a bit woody? I think people are confusing taste and smell. If not, can someone put into words what cedar flavor tastes like? Thank you.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Since I couldn't identify the taste, I took a bite out of the cedar siding on the house. Still couldn't identify the taste. Maybe a bit woody? I think people are confusing taste and smell. If not, can someone put into words what cedar flavor tastes like? Thank you.
You can identify woody flavors, but not cedar? Of course we're confusing taste and smell... Aroma and the nose is a huge part of what we perceive as taste. I do not believe it's really possible to separate the two. It's an entire olfactory extravaganza!

As I mentioned above, cedar isn't usually something I pick up super easily, but I would describe it as a mild, semi-sweet woodiness. As opposed to the darker, more oaky woodiness of, say, most of the stronger LFD cigars. I think the stereotypical Cuban "twang" that is intrinsically understood but not easily described by most cigar smokers consists, at least in part, of a pronounced version of cedar flavor/aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.