PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Check out this photo of veterans of the 157th NY Infantry resting by their historical marker.

Wonder what that dapper gentleman was enjoying in his pipe?

View attachment 282536

I’d guess that’s a 1913 50th Anniversiary of Gettysburg reunion photo, those men average about seventy and some years of age.

There was another big reunion on the 75th Anniversiary in 1938 but the veterans were all in their middle nineties and older.

642,427 total Union casualties:

110,100 killed in battle; 224,580 diseases; 275,174 wounded.

All my male relatives aged 13-65 on both sides of my family I can research were union veterans during the Civil War, all volunteers.

I’m sixty five. I can’t imagine joining the cavalry, but my grandmother’s grandfather did.

And the old boy lived to be 107 years old, as well.

They were tougher than me, for sure.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Wonder what that dapper gentleman was enjoying in his pipe?

I don't know about what he was smoking at the time of the photograph, but if he enjoyed packaged loose-leaf tobacco during the Civil War, then it could possibly have been that produced by the J.R. Green Tobacco Company. After the War, Green partnered with W.T. Blackwell and James R. Day to form what eventually became the W.T. Blackwell Company, the manufacturer of Blackwell's Durham (a favorite of Mark Twain), and which subsequently became famously known as Bull Durham.