PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Some nitpicking on clay and sepiolite. From the geological point of view Clay and sepiolite are not to be equated with each other. They are totally different in respect to their properties.

Clay is a unique combination of the clay minerals kaolin, illite, chlorite, sepiolite, and smectite. It’s a heterogeneous mixture of those elements. It needs to be burned at high temperature to keep the hardness and shape like clay pipes, pottery… do.

And clays are much cheaper, I like mine,
View attachment 210061

Sepiolite is a mineral with a characteristic needle shaped crystal structure. “It is a rare mineral with the chemical composition Mg8[(OH)2| Si6O15]2· (4+8) H2O and thus chemically a water-containing magnesium silicate with additional hydroxide ions. According to its crystal structure, it belongs to the phyllosilicates.”
I like this one. Where'd ya get it?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Some nitpicking on clay and sepiolite. From the geological point of view Clay and sepiolite are not to be equated with each other. They are totally different in respect to their properties.

Clay is a unique combination of the clay minerals kaolin, illite, chlorite, sepiolite, and smectite. It’s a heterogeneous mixture of those elements. It needs to be burned at high temperature to keep the hardness and shape like clay pipes, pottery… do.

And clays are much cheaper, I like mine,
View attachment 210061

Sepiolite is a mineral with a characteristic needle shaped crystal structure. “It is a rare mineral with the chemical composition Mg8[(OH)2| Si6O15]2· (4+8) H2O and thus chemically a water-containing magnesium silicate with additional hydroxide ions. According to its crystal structure, it belongs to the phyllosilicates.”

All clay minerals are phyllosilicates and there are hundreds of different clay minerals.
Most clay minerals are formed from the alteration of other (less stable) minerals due to weathering.

Kaolinite primarily comes from altered Orthoclase (or another high K feldpsar)

Clay minerals are often called garbage can minerals by geologists as they can contain damn near any of the elements.

Yes - many years studying geology (more than I care to admit)