PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well i read you could clean them if ya put it in an oven or in the coals of a camp fire Sooooo i figgered i would try the micowave

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I actually think I would've thought about it, and then wimped out. Thanks for the info, pawpaw. Once I get my clay (have so many other pipes calling me, though!), I'll be sure to skip the nuke box. Sorry to hear you had to lose the pipe to find it out though...
-Jason

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Juni that was also something i had been thinking about and lonestar i smoke the thin clay every day sence i got it and many days it has been 2+ bowls but i had put up the wally franks clay untill i needed it
and i will get some pics up later

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
kendallnov11021.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pawpaw - sorry to hear about your misfortune. Does your pic show the aftereffects of the microwaving? Did the shank split, maybe from moisture suddenly expanding?
Interesting that microwaving was bad for the clay pipe. The old tavern pipes in preColonial days were put into the log fires to sanitize them and pyrolize the tars out. The idea was that patrons could have a puff and maybe eats along with the libations. The reason the stems on those churchwardens and tavern pipes were so long was that the squeamish users could break off the tip and that way his lips would be the first to touch the new stem tip (unless a previous puffer licked the whole stem).
hp

les

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
actually the pipe is still smokable and yes there is a chunk of clay missing on the shank but it didnt get all the way to the draft hole and i also figger it was due to the moisture

and thanks to Philip i am now calling it my "battelfield" clay

Status
Not open for further replies.