PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I used to work fixing sewers. The sewers in London being particularly deep, we'd nearly always have to dig a huge shaft,and shutter the sides with steel plates and timber, to prevent the shaft falling in on itself. I can't tell you the amount of clay pipes we'd come across, and sure enough, if you were anywhere near the Thames you'd get a hell of a lot more. Clay bottles were also something we would find regularly. At that time, I didn't smoke a pipe, so had no real interest, I was working with my uncle and we'd just run the spade right through them. He came to London in the 50s, and he used to tell me that the pipes we found were one-hitters handed out on a tray at funerals, but even by the time he arrived in London it was a dying practice. Shame though, all the clays we smashed to smithereens, I could have had quite a healthy collection.

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
I used to work fixing sewers. The sewers in London being particularly deep, we'd nearly always have to dig a huge shaft,and shutter the sides with steel plates and timber, to prevent the shaft falling in on itself. I can't tell you the amount of clay pipes we'd come across, and sure enough, if you were anywhere near the Thames you'd get a hell of a lot more. Clay bottles were also something we would find regularly. At that time, I didn't smoke a pipe, so had no real interest, I was working with my uncle and we'd just run the spade right through them. He came to London in the 50s, and he used to tell me that the pipes we found were one-hitters handed out on a tray at funerals, but even by the time he arrived in London it was a dying practice. Shame though, all the clays we smashed to smithereens, I could have had quite a healthy collection.
Oxford had plenty as well in the sewers, so I've heard. I've never been able to bring myself to dig through the muck. Not that it isn't a good profession, but I hate being dirty. Even as a kid running barefoot, I'd have to stop and wipe my feet occasionally.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Oxford had plenty as well in the sewers, so I've heard. I've never been able to bring myself to dig through the muck. Not that it isn't a good profession, but I hate being dirty. Even as a kid running barefoot, I'd have to stop and wipe my feet occasionally.
Yeah I'm sure there would be loads in Oxford too. Any old city that was around in the Victorian period will be full to the brim with old clay pipes. Oxford is a lovely place, must take a trip up there this summer. Are there any tobacconists left up there?

Reactions: Gandalf The Grey

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
Yeah I'm sure there would be loads in Oxford too. Any old city that was around in the Victorian period will be full to the brim with old clay pipes. Oxford is a lovely place, must take a trip up there this summer. Are there any tobacconists left up there?
Havana House is your best bet. I think their the only ones left sadly.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon