PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I started this pipe smoking thing years ago because I saw my Grandfather with his pipe in his mouth reading the paper and thinking..."that's cool as hell, and smells awesome." "I want to be just like him."

However, the minute I put my pipe in my my maw and look at my wife with a "you know I'm cool" look, I start salivating and dribbling down the stem like a Great Dane in front of a filet mignon...What gives? Anytime I start to sit quietly with a pipe clenched (no matter what style...straight, bent, cockeyed...) I dribble,,,

I'm sure I have opened the door to a multitude of comments... But , what the hell? Am I doing something wrong...

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Not necessarily doing anything wrong. When I first started clenching I had the same thing happen and thought there was something wrong with me. But I just kept playing around with it and now I don't have any trouble clenching a pipe.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
It just takes time. For some clenching isn’t second nature & some were meant to fondle their pipes. 😉

I’d suggest a lighter pipe with a vulcanite stem for comfort. I prefer MM 🌽 cobs as they are light and clench easily. Drooling is natural at first. I mean the stuff we sip on tastes lovely at times so it stands to reason you may go 💦. However, many seasoned pipers don’t clench cause it’s simply not comfortable…nothing wrong with using your hands. ☕

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
You might get accustomed to it, or might not. I can hold a pen light in my mouth sometimes for 10 min with no issue, sometimes I start drooling within seconds.

I don't really clench my pipes, I prefer to hold them in hand. That said, I have clenched before without drooling (fishtail bits). The only time I drooled with a pipe was when I tried some of those soft rubber bits, gushed like crazy.

You could try clenching further back, using your molars. Or if that's already where you're clenching, you could try clenching further forward on your canines. It probably helps if you don't bite too hard? Just spitballing here since I don't know for sure as I'm not a clencher.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm of the opinion you can't really do much about it. I salivate a good deal if I clench longer than a couple of minutes, and I've been doing this long enough to know what I'm doing.

We're wet smokers. It is what it is. It's not as if there is a faucet on us that controls the flow, so to speak. Over time, you may salivate less or find ways to cope. For myself, I never liked clenching for long periods anyway, and if I'm smoking a pipe then I am probably sitting down or going for leisurely stroll at most. So it's not a big deal to me most of the time.

You could try clenching further back, using your molars.
Absolutely +100. I see guys who will sometimes walk around with their pipes out front in clench, but that just doesn't look right to me. I clench just behind my eye teeth. Anything that sticks straight out looks silly and could be the reason you salivate. Chocked back in the molars, with my lips closed, I've never had an issue. I can even sort of talk with my pipe in clench, although, when smoking, I'd rather not be bothered.

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I did (drool) initially. I'd smoke outside so I could spit. Then, a long time ago, I didn't anymore. Damned if I know why. My body/brain somehow "learned" not to, same as I "learned " to smoke a pipe in general. If I wasn't a clencher I wouldn't be a pipe smoker, so I'm glad it proved to be a start-up glitch.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I started this pipe smoking thing years ago because I saw my Grandfather with his pipe in his mouth reading the paper and thinking..."that's cool as hell, and smells awesome." "I want to be just like him."

However, the minute I put my pipe in my my maw and look at my wife with a "you know I'm cool" look, I start salivating and dribbling down the stem like a Great Dane in front of a filet mignon...What gives? Anytime I start to sit quietly with a pipe clenched (no matter what style...straight, bent, cockeyed...) I dribble,,,

I'm sure I have opened the door to a multitude of comments... But , what the hell? Am I doing something wrong...
I found that practicing sipping on the pipe instead of puffing really reduced the drool factor. Also found that it takes a while no matter what you do for that physiological response to chill out with clenching. Also might just be you and not much you can do about it. Just one of those things that bodies do. But the cooler the smoke the less your body will respond that way.

Reactions: Dudditz