PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried tea the way you guys are talking about it. I got the nice pot, bought some nice teas and it was ok but I had no desire to get into another hobby. I know myself and once I get going on a new hobby, I go balls to the walls and want to know everything about it and it's history. I am not going to get a new hobby, as good as tea is, it is not a cheap hoppy.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Coffee in the morning, strongly brewed PG Tips with a splash of milk or half and half the rest of the day for me.

I never liked the astringent quality of black tea, but found that a bit of milk fat can tone it down. On chilly days at work I bring a thermos full and it keeps me going.

I'll drink just about any coffee you give me in the morning, as I'm just looking for caffeine, but tea absolutely MUST be black, and strong, for me to want any. Green tea just doesn't do it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Coffee in the morning, strongly brewed PG Tips with a splash of milk or half and half the rest of the day for me.

I never liked the astringent quality of black tea, but found that a bit of milk fat can tone it down. On chilly days at work I bring a thermos full and it keeps me going.

I'll drink just about any coffee you give me in the morning, as I'm just looking for caffeine, but tea absolutely MUST be black, and strong, for me to want any. Green tea just doesn't do it.
Yup, only black teas for me. Both green and oolong teas don't have enough oomph for me. But never put anything in either my coffee or tea. Unless, of course, I'm making cappuccino with my espresso machine. Then it's hazelnut creamer.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm with you, I drink my morning coffee, then for the rest of the day it's tea and water, of course. One of my favorites is regular iced tea, slightly sweetened with a splash of rose water, just enough to make it barley perceptible to the taste but it adds a lot, very refreshing and pairs very well with a pipe. I learned that trick from one of my favorite Indian restaurants, I basically begged for the recipe.

I love me some Earl Grey too, my local grocery store has a bulk tea selection and they carry the best varieties of Earl Grey I've ever had so I stock up good on those.

I haven't read through this thread yet and I'm sure it's been mentioned but anyone getting into teas needs to try Lapsang Souchong if you have not already done so. It's not any every day tea for me but it sure hits the spot when I'm craving it. I also like this Oolong tea that I get from an Asian Grocery store here.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My tea of choice is Orange Pekoe, usually Twinings. Nothing special, but I prefer OP to other types of black tea. It seems a little lighter and less bitter than something like English Breakfast. I can’t do Earl Grey; it’s like the tea equivalent of Lakelands.

And OP makes a fine base for a hot toddy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
When I lived in the UK there was a shop near me that sold many different teas,I regularly drank lapsang souchong and russian caravan but the last 17 years Earl Grey has been easily available so that is what I drink

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You really have to try some Panda Dung Tea. Panda Dung tea boasts a nutty flavor and malty aroma. I think they should try grinding up those Civet cats who eat coffee beans and feed them to the Pandas. Then you'd have something really special.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
So what the heck - I found this outfit called "Plum" - maybe they're just trendy, no idea, but they had some interesting looking offerings so I got some basic black/orange/spice tea and some other kind both in regular and decaf and some cutsie winter mugs they sell with little covers and the baskets for the loose tea. Showed up today, and wife loves it all! Just trying my first "real" tea - I like it! Not really much to compare it to but it is better than the Constant Comment that I like, smoother and more flavor, so as far as I'm concerned a win. This place should be called Enablers Central.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So what the heck - I found this outfit called "Plum" - maybe they're just trendy, no idea, but they had some interesting looking offerings so I got some basic black/orange/spice tea and some other kind both in regular and decaf and some cutsie winter mugs they sell with little covers and the baskets for the loose tea. Showed up today, and wife loves it all! Just trying my first "real" tea - I like it! Not really much to compare it to but it is better than the Constant Comment that I like, smoother and more flavor, so as far as I'm concerned a win. This place should be called Enablers Central.
Sounds awesome! I drank a 10 ounce cup of Earl Grey DE LA Creme after dinner that was superb with a bowl of Virginia Flake. Drinking some iced tea now, Passion Fruit, from Full Leaf Tea Co. No sugar, nice flavor and very refreshing.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Got in a big box of various teas from Adagio. Drinking something called Golden Monkry which is a black tea from the Fujian Province of China. Different, kind of in your face, lots of flavor. Liking it.
Here's a thread shanez started back in April about Golden Monkey. I've never tried it...some day I will though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Here's a thread shanez started back in April about Golden Monkey. I've never tried it...some day I will though.
Adagio has several black teas from the Fujian Province. I got a couple of ounces of each to try. I have no idea if they're to the standard shanez is accustomed to.

madhatt

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2021
I haven't tried it yet, but this tea has a peculiar name: "King of Duck Shit Aroma" Dan Cong Oolong. I enjoy non-flavoured green, oolong or black teas. I am interested in trying pu'er tea, some of which apparently improve with age. Yet another leaf to cellar and ferment!

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
I adore tea as well, been a customer of Harney and Son's for years. Terrific Lapsang tea and their Earl Grey Supreme hasn't been topped yet either if you're a fan of that style. That being said I am a coffee nerd. I've always viewed coffee and beer frankly, as 'life's too short to drink cheap'. I tend to prefer med-dark roasts, single origin, but have been experimenting with blends lately (Koffee Kult's Road Dog, is sublime as an example), taken always with half and half (cream/milk) and none else.

Keeping watch on here for recommends on tea as I like what I do, but I am not terribly versed on it.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I enjoy the carbonation and mouthfeel of diet cola and am looking for a healthier substitute. I think a tasty cold or room temperature tea would scratch the itch; although beating the price point of $1 for a 2 liter of soda may be difficult (but possibly worth the time and energy).

Maybe try mixing a strong tea with club soda, since you like the bubbles? Or maybe run the tea thru a home seltzer maker?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I've tried Irish Breakfast numerous times and for whatever reason, don't care for this one too much. Not horrible just not as good as Earl Grey.
just a tip, all those traditional assam /kenian leaf based British &irish morning teas was originally created to be enjoyed with a splash of milk, that'll cut the sharp edge off, making it more palatable''to enjoy