PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I don't smoke indoors. When it is cold out, I just don't have much urge to sit for 45min to an hour for a smoke. My fingers get numb and I find myself looking forward to the end of the bowl so I can go inside and thaw out. Thinking I may need a build a shed for winter even if only for a comfortable place to smoke. Any of you outdoor smokers have a different solution?

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
I don't smoke indoors. When it is cold out, I just don't have much urge to sit for 45min to an hour for a smoke. My fingers get numb and I find myself looking forward to the end of the bowl so I can go inside and thaw out. Thinking I may need a build a shed for winter even if only for a comfortable place to smoke. Any of you outdoor smokers have a different solution?
Shed for me. with an electric heater and Radio 4.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
For me it’s in the house, preferably with open windows. It’s 61 degrees outside today in mile high Arizona, so the heat is off too. My house is my castle and ,if you don’t like pipe smoke, don’t cross the moat!
I don’t think I’d freeze my ass off for any smoke. OK, if you offered me 10 lbs of Condor……..

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I had that problem last night finishing a bowl of Rivendell in a Comoy's London Pride 1/2 Bent Billiard in high cold wind (10-15 degrees)... it was a quick hot smoke. To answer your original question though, I bought a couple of smaller bowl pipes ... Peterson Kapmeer 999 (17mmx35mm), Erica second 303 (17mmx35mm) and Savinelli Erica Fiamma 128 , I don't fill them all the way to reduce smoking time and i dress appropriately in wool layers and fleece with a warm ski hat (coat and hat near door for quick access). The kapmeer is the best for a quick smoke in inclement weather.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Build a small shed - I think you'll thank yourself later. Make it comfortable, make it your spot. A television or a sound system or a lamp for books. Whatever your into.
I'm fortunate that my wife enjoys me smoking inside, and I have a man cave where I can smoke on the opposite side of the house from the kids rooms and nobody comes in here. Plus it has many windows I can open when I wanna breeze the room out.
However, I'm building a shop for my tools and woodworking. But I'm making it a smoke shop also. It'll have a sound system and a heater and a comfortable lounge area for those nights where I wanna smoke something a little less desirable aroma wise. I'm ecstatic to have a place of my own where I can smoke whatever I want and enjoy a book or an album.
A fire pit or outdoor chimney would be a cheaper alternative too. I love a fire outdoors in the winter with a dram of my favorite whiskey and a pipe.

Hope you stay warm! Im in Georgia and can't imagine living somewhere that it gets even colder in the winters.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for the replies gents. I recently moved from South Florida to the mountains so this is a new problem for me. I can see tricking out a shed/workshop with all sorts of interesting features. Sounds like a good project for summer. Fortunately, spring is not that far away and until then, I'll just smoke the occasional short bowl...