PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
View attachment 203305
@halfdan could probably brown a clay with the best of them, he would certainly earn his hourly wage.
@canucklehead Sounds like a good job for me; I didn't know there were professional pipe smokers; you're probably right about browning a clay pipe with the best of them! I think a dark strong twist would be good for browning a clay pipe.

Feb 7, 2023
659C6A17-AB98-4B14-B935-3871FBF7F84A.jpeg

I think this is a good example of a vintage meerschaum that’s been actually colored and aged I suppose; bottom is a Billiard Egg of recent make probably a tourist special which I’ve now gotten a little more golden color on but I’m aware it’s clearly only on the surface.

But who knows, all of our displays will have different color temperatures aside from the variations in panels (TN, IPS etc)

Feb 7, 2023
I have a feeling your definition of larger is a pipe about the size of a softball? Seems to me that any meer wider than say 2 inches without costing 3-4 times as much is rare as hens teeth. For example a meer carver quoted me $250 just to make a slightly larger cutty (say 40mm thick) The briar or Morta pipe I could buy for that price would be lavish, exquisite, and much larger.

No prejudice against big pipes but I detect there’s something very bourgeoise about a melon-size-meerschaum and the price they demand.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a feeling your definition of larger is a pipe about the size of a softball? Seems to me that any meer wider than say 2 inches without costing 3-4 times as much is rare as hens teeth. For example a meer carver quoted me $250 just to make a slightly larger cutty (say 40mm thick) The briar or Morta pipe I could buy for that price would be lavish, exquisite, and much larger.

No prejudice against big pipes but I detect there’s something very bourgeoise about a melon-size-meerschaum and the price they demand.
Considering I can't close my hands all the way, I really haven't got much of a choice when it comes to pipe size. Just for size reference though, both of these were under $280.

20210902_140420.jpg20220530_144026.jpg

And the owl.
20230202_160151.jpgScreenshot_20230204-031745_eBay.jpg

Here's the mountain lion invoice, can't find the one for the skull.
Screenshot_20230219-173121_Samsung Internet.jpg

Feb 7, 2023
Glad your getting some good use out of those out and about, reminds me of the Elgin marbles.
EB540336-80C9-412A-B3E1-B86EBAE42DB2.jpeg

…Ok not that big :)

Perhaps the market is a little inflated right now, those prices are comparatively good.

PS: I still want a dunhill nightcap man someday… bourgeoise or not.

• Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad your getting some good use out of those out and about, reminds me of the Elgin marbles.
View attachment 203961

…Ok not that big :)

Perhaps the market is a little inflated right now, those prices are comparatively good.
I got the owl recently, I guess it's a matter of where you shop.

PS: I still want a dunhill nightcap man someday… bourgeoise or not.
Throw convention out the window. You're doing something as anachronistic as smoking a pipe so go nuts!

• Love
Reactions: aspiring_sage

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I wouldn't. If you want the top to be black it can easily be done just by being very generous with a lighter or match when lighting.

Making the meerschaum crackled/calcined/marbled (whatever it can be called), I've never seen naturally occuring, and might just be something artificially made.
I wondered about that. Always thought it was a man-made process, and then I received a 1910-20 meer that looked like Van Cleef's. I'm wondering if it's the 'translucent' meerschaum that members here have been talking about lately.

Regarding the rim treatment - when I have to restore a chipped, flumed Peterson meer, I use an ebony stain pen. It works great. My best guess is that they got that affect in the 1960's/'70s by spraying on the stain, since it fades out at the low area below the rim. But it is into the meer a little - I tried to sand it off of a smooth Pete, and the results were not fantastic.

This is the bowl on the 1910-20 meer I'm talking about. It is slightly grey at the top where I had to sand a little to get some ugly chipping smoothed. I did not give it the stain pen treatment, as I'm keeping it and don't care.

22uCg1E.jpg