PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's a current photo of the dublin from above that hasn't been smoked for many months. The pseudo coloring has faded. While the internal coloring remains.

20220111_134658.jpg20220111_135047.jpg

Reactions: mingc

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Here's a current photo of the dublin from above that hasn't been smoked for many months. The pseudo coloring has faded. While the internal coloring remains.

View attachment 151640View attachment 151641
I'll take Embers for $100 on this one. Pop corn anyone?
Condor condor condor..... you disappoint me man. Just yesterday you posted a pic of a meer that you've been trying to color and was pleased with finally getting results. The only color I saw was in the shank. Are you saying your pipe has gained some 'pseudo' color?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
If I stop smoking it then it will fade. Only when it goes that pleasing sh*t brown color then the entire pipe is saturated. See below the example of this ancient floater....with coloring caused by 100+ years of smoking.View attachment 151645
Interesting, that particular pipe has colored just in the shank alone. I don't smoke much in the winter so my pipes go months without being smoked. They fade a little but pop right back to where they were after a few smokes.

Reactions: tech49

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@timt : Here is a selection and the 'cutty' that is almost at 12 o'clock is the one in the picture above and you can see the color change on the shank. For some reason mine all seem to color from the amber stem downwards. The color resistant one started coloring as Embers described on the heal of the bowl. My mileage varies greatly because I am smoking something that someone else started coloring 100 years ago. Problem pipes usual get sent to Weezell to smoke otherwise I would be buying one of the Embers natty pipe band saws! rotf

4vKRRe1.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Holy shit...now you've cut that one up? LOL

So what have we learned from all this carnage?
The brown of the shank didn't originate from internal coloring. It darkened from the warmth of the pipe being smoked. As seen in the previous photos prior to being dissected, it had lightened up from a prolonged period of not being smoked. The shank darkened up from being smoked again at work tonight and the inner walls of the shank have barely begun to absorb any color from the smoke in the airway. Similar to how an unsmoked meerschaum will temporarily color if hot water is ran through it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@brian64

What's really telling are pictures 3 and four. The darkest part of the exterior of the shank is where the inside was covered by the IMP delrin shank insert and the silver band. Those areas couldn't have absorbed any smoke.

Reactions: mingc and brian64

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
So the colouring of the meer is just wax turning to brown. What a disappointment.
Only until the internal coloring starts showing through but it does take hundreds of smokes for that. As much as I've smoked my big Kenan, it's only just starting to show its real coloring at the jawline at the heel of the tobacco chamber.

20220312_192035.jpg

Reactions: mingc and cshubhra
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It was just a pipe and it proved my point. There is little to no coloring between the airway and the exterior of the pipe. Cut a meer open to prove me wrong or quit trying to start arguments with me in every other thread.
Don't be so modest. It was a sacrifice to the tobacco gods to repent for its crimes against the truth and save the forum members from misinformation.

Some laughed, some cried, some threw up. But where one pipe is sacrificed, another shall arise from the ashes and enter the collection.