PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
While we are talking (arguing?.. sorry debating) the color issue, i see a lot of these Meerschaum coloring bowls do, how are they suppose to work? The fact that IMP and the like sell them does that mean they work or does that just mean there is a buck to be made there? From everything I’ve read so far, seems like it’s about the tar and oils soaking in (and was discoloration).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While we are talking (arguing?.. sorry debating) the color issue, i see a lot of these Meerschaum coloring bowls do, how are they suppose to work? The fact that IMP and the like sell them does that mean they work or does that just mean there is a buck to be made there? From everything I’ve read so far, seems like it’s about the tar and oils soaking in (and was discoloration).

I'd see them as a waste. They're absorbing all of the good stuff you want in your pipe.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'd see them as a waste. They're absorbing all of the good stuff you want in your pipe.
I read the little description and that was the part that confused me. I suppose they say it’s condensing and containing the stuff in the pipe but cork is porous as well and would suck up a lot. Maybe if it was glass or something and you were careful placing it in and taking it out of the bowl but still wouldn’t seem to add much other than being a hassle.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Glass plugs, the answer to everything.
I read the little description and that was the part that confused me. I suppose they say it’s condensing and containing the stuff in the pipe but cork is porous as well and would suck up a lot. Maybe if it was glass or something and you were careful placing it in and taking it out of the bowl but still wouldn’t seem to add much other than being a hassle.

• Haha
Reactions: gervais

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I just did an experiment...I finished a bowl and when pipe was still a little warm I cleaned the shank with pipe cleaner,filled the pipe half way with new tobacco and poured 1,5 of a teaspoon of 100 proof Jack Daniels Bonded limited edition whiskey in it...I will see tomorow if any results coming out of it

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
they supposed to work as the burning chamber above your pipe chamber and this way cooler smoke is coming to your pipe chamber coloring it more even because evidently if you burn bacco in your pipe heat is too extreme and the coloring agents concentrate at the shank area where it is cooler
From other forums I've seen extensively use them, the coloration appears to only be the tans and pinks in the wax and not the black and reds of the internal coloring but at the same time you don't risk the discoloring of the rim from smoke wafting over it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I think that rim coloring is a result from the direct charring from the match...The other day my match slipped and i touched the outside of the bowl about 1/4 inch bellow the rim and it colored it..Also top of the rim is lower temperature than inside of the bowl where tobacco is burning
I had a wild strand of burning tobacco try to escape my meer once.

PXL_20220619_043752504.jpg

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I think that the rim darkening is simply a matter of higher temperature, probably from lighting, and not smoke, which colors the material. The inside of the bowl turns black when smoking too, but not the outside, which probably is because of how thick the walls of the bowl are.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You will be missing all the fun!
I'm an obsessive-compulsive ?

Instead of enjoying the moment and smoke, I'd be stressing over whether the shank was colouring more than the bowl, whether it was surface wax or inspissated tars, should I be wearing a pair of white gloves or if I should dissect the pipe a la @Chasing Embers to check on the process ?

Information overload ! Information overload ! ?