PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have one & it's ok. Bought it because I really like Comoy pipes & it was an inexpensive addition to my humble pipe lighter collection. It's been reasonable reliable but it's not the only lighter I use. The fold out pick in the tamper is pretty wimpy.

Not sure I would buy another one. In my experience, many piezoelectric lighters can be unreliable after a while if it's your only lighter & gets lots of use.

Buy it if you like the way it looks, but at that price point I would probably go with Zippo, IMCO, or Vertigo Puffer.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

guess they went up in price a bit. Still totally worth it IMo.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio

guess they went up in price a bit. Still totally worth it IMo.
I have been running a pair of these well over a year. zero problems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had four Fauxponts for a couple of years, not a problem, and the workmanship is superb. I now have three, as one walked. I hope the s.o.b. who stole it tries to pawn it.

• Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've had four Fauxponts for a couple of years, not a problem, and the workmanship is superb. I now have three, as one walked. I hope the s.o.b. who stole it tries to pawn it.
I agree. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the exact same lighters that ST DuPont sell.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I also have a couple of these Tribute lighters, beautiful, functional and a joy to use!
Maybe the best deal in an upscale lighter. I use them for cigarettes.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I also have a couple of these Tribute lighters, beautiful, functional and a joy to use!
Maybe the best deal in an upscale lighter. I use them for cigarettes.
I had worried that they don’t have an angled flame like other pipe lighters I’ve owned. I almost prefer the straight flame now.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kwg116

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Why do I read these threads. I have been curious about these since people first started talking about them a few years ago. I really don’t care about the ping or the DuPont name. I just like the classic design. Ordered ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Why do I read these threads. I have been curious about these since people first started talking about them a few years ago. I really don’t care about the ping or the DuPont name. I just like the classic design. Ordered ?
I doubt you’ll regret it for the money. They are heavy duty. I have dropped my daily use one quite a bit... fallen out of the car off my lap etc. and still works perfectly. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kwg116

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IIRC, it was woodsroad (Dan) who first posted about them. With his saying they were ok I ordered one. Then another. Then two more. One's in my TV room, one in the golf bag, and one in reserve. (for when some other bastard steals one).

As to dropping, watch out for your toes. They are hefty!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I agree with Brobs, those Comoy lighters are worthless. Half the time then wouldn't light and when they did the flame was very low no matter what flame height you put it on. I would drain the tank, put it on low flame when adding the butane, then set the flame height, either medium or high. Didn't work. Same results, low flame height. I wore out my thumb trying to light the thing. After 2 weeks of fighting with it, in the trash it went. I'll stick with Bics and Zippos for my choice of lighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.