PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

I recently acquired some beautiful Peterson pipes and both do not accommodate filters. I was wondering if anyone here knew if it was possible to convert these to accept filters, or if there are any filters out there that are small enough to fit into the teeny tiny draft hole of the mouth piece. Perhaps people have come up with with their own innovative solutions?

Thanks!

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Hello ,

Why would you want to do that? I find filters will not do good to the taste of your fine tobacco in a short while. Better keep them original as they were made and buy another filter pipe when you see a nice one for a good price.

Reactions: Bles
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s possible but you need enough shank diameter and length to take the drilling. I did it to a Bertram I really liked, though in my case I made an entirely new stem because I didn’t care for the vulcanite the original was made of. In my case there was enough material to drill a wider shank for the wider tenon for a 6mm filter drilling along with enough length to take the 1.5” filter.

IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This gets covered pretty frequently, the short answer is no. The stems and shanks are generally to small to accommodate the drilling necessary to facilitate a filter.

The long answer is sometimes it is possible, but it would cost more than it would to just buy filter pipes. There a lot of variables, stem diameter, tenon type, tenon diameter, stem bend, shank diameter, mortise diameter, and mortise depth. Each pipe would have to evaluated individually and if it were possible it would likely mean you would have to have a new stem made.

There will inevitably be people who tell you to just ream it out with a drill bit and hope for the best, this is bad advice at best. Typically filter pipes have delrin tenons because delrin is more suitable for the thin wall thickness needed for filters. Vulcanite just can't handle the stress when it's cut that thin.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I think everyone has their own personal risk tolerances. For me, it’s pretty generous.

Here's an example of a pipe I made about 2 years ago. It’s my most used pipe I own, it has probably 200-225 bowls smoked in it. I use vodka for deep cleaning on the acrylic, I’ll occasionally water flush the entire pipe, and I’ll smoke blends across all spectrums in it. I’ll smoke back to back bowls and even remove the stem while warm to clean it after a bowl and put the stem back in while still warm. I also never use delrin as I don’t like the thought of a joint.

The upper part of the bowl comes in at about 6mm thick. The thickness of briar at the shank is 2.83mm. The thickness of the acrylic tenon is 1.12mm thick.

I almost exclusively smoke 6mm filter pipes and for the most part I make my own because of the lack of shape offerings that appeal to me. I’m in the camp that you can push things.

IMG_2865.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2867.jpeg

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Some really like filtered pipes! But I'd leave those as they are. I never have to worry about filtering my tobacco, I get my tobacco at the health food store.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Interesting but no one asked you why you want to make them filtered pipes? Need to start at the problem statement before suggesting a solution that works for you. Sorry ... been at work too long today and need to take a break so i talk like a normal human again.

Also there are some very small "filters" but they are rolled up paper and useless.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Hello all,

I recently acquired some beautiful Peterson pipes and both do not accommodate filters. I was wondering if anyone here knew if it was possible to convert these to accept filters, or if there are any filters out there that are small enough to fit into the teeny tiny draft hole of the mouth piece. Perhaps people have come up with with their own innovative solutions?

Thanks!
What Peterson Pipes did you acquire ? Show us a picture and include the shank separated from the stem and the stem end. Some older Peterson pipe stems can accommodate a filter and some can accommodate a different filtered stem. But generally @RustiePyles CPG is, as always, dead on correct.
I smoke a Peterson XXL hand made occasionally with a separate 9mm filter stem and my XL339S with a Savinelli 6mm dry system stem when I want to filter the smoke but you would need to buy a pipe that has the stem you want to swap occasionally. Its cheaper to buy a Peterson filter pipe ... see smokingpipes.eu for a larger selection you can search by Peterson 9mm.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think everyone has their own personal risk tolerances. For me, it’s pretty generous.

I’m in the camp that you can push things.

Same here. Sometimes, things are so reliable that you get a little bored, and it's tempting to test things to see where the line really is. But across all my hobbies, you can count on a few people getting nervous that others will take one's examples as recommendations. 😁

Reactions: fireground_piper

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Have you tried simply adding Nording Keystones to the bottom of the bowl? I love them. If you are looking for actual carbon filtration, you can top the Keystones off with the contents of a 9mm carbon filter, then pack your baccy on top of that. The Keystones keep the little carbon pellets from entering the draft hole. It may sound crazy, but it works really well for non-filtered pipes. Do not put carbon pellets in with no keystones though, as they will end up in your mouth! Meer chips also work as the base layer, but they are not consistent in size like the Keystones.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Have you tried simply adding Nording Keystones to the bottom of the bowl? I love them. If you are looking for actual carbon filtration, you can top the Keystones off with the contents of a 9mm carbon filter, then pack your baccy on top of that. The Keystones keep the little carbon pellets from entering the draft hole. It may sound crazy, but it works really well for non-filtered pipes. Do not put carbon pellets in with no keystones though, as they will end up in your mouth! Meer chips also work as the base layer, but they are not consistent in size like the Keystones.
I have many unfiltered pipes but have now switched to charcoal filters. I am currently experimenting with this -- adding these larger charcoal granules to the bottom of the bowl of unfiltered pipes.

1713453735546.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Hello all,

Thanks!
Call SmokingPipes and ask them. I had an unfiltered System XL315 that they fitted with a new stem.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
How will you know when you've finished the tobacco before the charcoal starts to burn, and will you catch it before the lit charcoal starts burning out your pipe? Very curious...
Still experimenting but this hasn't been a problem thus far. The ignition temperature of charcoal is high relative to the temperature of burning tobacco.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Hello ,

Why would you want to do that? I find filters will not do good to the taste of your fine tobacco in a short while. Better keep them original as they were made and buy another filter pipe when you see a nice one for a good price.
Respectfully, "Why would you want to do that?" is never a helpful contribution on any forum thread asking a question about modifications. The OP surely has their own reasons for wanting to do so, and it's frustrating when one asks a question and receives responses of "Y tho?" rather than ones which tell the OP why it is or is not a good or practical idea.