PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I've read somewhere about using rice in the bottom of the bowl to absorb moisture. I bet it's a surprise when one gets to that, too!
The stuff people put in their pipes, yeesh... rice, sour cream, camel excrement...
Rather than rice, one can use much cheaper tobacco like that intended for RYO. It tends to be very dry and readily absorbs moisture and tars from the tobacco burning above it, acting as a filter of sorts and prevents wasting the good tobacco. I do it all the time.

Still experimenting but this hasn't been a problem thus far. The ignition temperature of charcoal is high relative to the temperature of burning tobacco.
I start charcoal in one if them chimney starters with a single wad of newspaper. No starter fluid or anything.
I guess of you really smoke slow… You’d definitely not want to puff about close to the bottom.

Do you really smoke with charcoal in the bottom of your pipe? Like every time, or special smokes?

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Call SmokingPipes and ask them. I had an unfiltered System XL315 that they fitted with a new stem.
I probably should have been more clear... The XL315 is an army mount, so it was easy to swap an unfiltered stem for one that takes a filter. I personally love smoking with a filter. Just try it a few times, and weigh the filter before and after. It's not unusual for my filter to weigh 0.25 g more after smoking, most of which is water vapor which would otherwise steam my tongue. And, yes, I dry the tobacco before smoking.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I start charcoal in one if them chimney starters with a single wad of newspaper. No starter fluid or anything.
I guess of you really smoke slow… You’d definitely not want to puff about close to the bottom.

Do you really smoke with charcoal in the bottom of your pipe? Like every time, or special smokes?
well, if I begin to taste anything that isn't tobacco then out she goes.
I run this test only occasionally because if I get tongue bite then I must wait a few days to enjoy smoking again.
At some point I will determine whether the technique works reliably or not, and under what conditions.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Any pipe shops in your area? I once talked to my local tobacconist, who also does pipe maintenance and repair, about converting my Vincenzo churchwarden from its standard ~3mm bore to filtered (chambered to 6mm) and he said it'd be real easy to just insert a piece of delrin in the mouthpiece.

It can be done, unless you have one of those Scottie Piersel shanks.