PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My birthday is late in August.
Growing up we always went on vacation in the last 2 weeks of August.
My older brothers had birthdays on Oct 30 and Jan 3. They always celebrated with Halloween and New Year’s.
My parents always told me it was special to be on vacation for my birthday.
For me, sure, we saw some cool sights in NM, but there was never just a birthday cake at home.
In my adult life, I just want to stay home in the A/C, eat a home cooked steak dinner and some coconut cream pie.
I absolutely love the road, but home is for birthdays

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Being chased through Manhattan by some kids. In NYC, back then, at least 82-83, you had choice of high schools you can go to. 1. Local school assigned to you, or 2. take an exam and go to specialized high schools. Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech.. And so on. It was winter of 82-83. The test was at some place near St. Patrick's Cathedral. It snowed ton. My father drove my friends and I to the testing center and told us to take subway back. When the test was done, we decided to hang around the area. After awhile, it felt like some local kids were following us. So, we more or less try to loose them and ended up at St. Patrick's Cathedral. We stayed there for some time and went to catch 7 train. While we were running around I remembered asking one of my friends why would anyone chase outsiders in that snow. He replied "blood pattern on the snow is beautiful". Yupe, I can't forget that one.

Jan 27, 2020
The girl who sat next to me on a bus between Sao Paulo and Rio that I got jiggy with but told me we had to leave the bus without acting like we knew each other as her boyfriend was picking her up...

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I used to smoke while traveling. But hotels in the US, EU and UK, where I did my business travels, increasingly restricted smoking. Especially when my travel is booked by my company, and I didn't have a choice of hotels, I often ended up in a non-smoking environment. I enjoyed a puff in my hotel room in the evening, especially with a pint or two of local brew. My travel days are pretty much over now.

Memory: Traveling with tobacco in my carry-on, I was stopped for additional inspection when a security agent (pre-TSA) detected a Zip-lock bag with an herbal-like substance inside my carry-on. It was an older woman who began rubbing some device over my carry-on that looked like a small metal detector. It was new to me so I asked her what it was for. "Testing for hazardous residue," I was told. I could see her looking around while working -- I think she was trying to attract the attention of a security guard. She found no "hazardous residue" and had to let me go, but reluctantly. I was told "well, you can go" -- as if she meant to add "...this time!"

I was stopped once again on another trip but it wasn't a big deal. I traveled for a while after that with tobacco in tins and never had that problem again.