PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Legend, country gent, devil anse, cobbit dwarf. I always come back to those. The first 3 are great outdoor clenchers or driving pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72

Rex_D

Lurker
Aug 6, 2023
My go to cob pipe is the Country Gentleman bent but I prefer an acrylic stem and the Gentleman uses a softer cheaper stem that needs replacing fairly often.

So now I look for cobs with acrylic stems and no filter.

MM recently launched a new cob,

"Samson Corn Cob"

This is the nicest cob I've ever seen and will be ordering a couple in the weeks ahead.

cob.png

If you want one the only place they seem to be available from is Missouri Meeerschaum direct.

Rex_D

Lurker
Aug 6, 2023
I’ve got a lot of pipes but I’ve never owned a corn cob. What are they made of? Are they actually made of corn? Or am I just a dunce?
Yeah the bowl is made from a real corn cob.
Right now I use nothing but cobs, they are tremendous value and smoke exceptionally well, hard to believe they are often just as good or better than an expensive briar pipe but they are.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
It’s worth trying the Eaton/pony express, especially if you like strong tobacco. For me these small bowl pipes can help eliminate the bitter or sludgy taste a strong burley can have at the end of the bowl. They are also super light, great for clenching. I prefer the draw on them to mm filter pipes as well. The Eaton is probably my fave as it comes in the natural finish which I prefer. They are also something of a rarity in today’s pipe world as they have diameters of around.6 inches—perfect for orientals. And if you prefer a longer pipe you can get basically the same bowl on the huck Finn or mizou. You can get them slightly shorter with the Tom Sawyer. For me the 1.25 x .6 inch mm bowl rules

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
It’s worth trying the Eaton/pony express, especially if you like strong tobacco. For me these small bowl pipes can help eliminate the bitter or sludgy taste a strong burley can have at the end of the bowl. They are also super light, great for clenching. I prefer the draw on them to mm filter pipes as well. The Eaton is probably my fave as it comes in the natural finish which I prefer. They are also something of a rarity in today’s pipe world as they have diameters of around.6 inches—perfect for orientals. And if you prefer a longer pipe you can get basically the same bowl on the huck Finn or mizou. You can get them slightly shorter with the Tom Sawyer. For me the 1.25 x .6 inch mm bowl rules

I have Huck Finn and the bowl size is an ideal measure for a short smoke in between.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
My go to cob pipe is the Country Gentleman bent but I prefer an acrylic stem and the Gentleman uses a softer cheaper stem that needs replacing fairly often.

So now I look for cobs with acrylic stems and no filter.

MM recently launched a new cob,

"Samson Corn Cob"

This is the nicest cob I've ever seen and will be ordering a couple in the weeks ahead.

View attachment 267887

If you want one the only place they seem to be available from is Missouri Meeerschaum direct.

Similar to the European No. 1 except finished bowl and no filter. The European no. 1 is one of my favourite pipes. Wish the Samson came filtered.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
They are all the best. I recommend buying one naked and one plastered. From that point shape and size is the only difference and as stated is subjective. I've been preferring the naked cobs lately though.

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
The main functional differences between the different cobs on the standard line are bowl chamber size, whether the pipe can or can't accept a filter, and whether it has a hardwood plug or not, and whether it's bent or straight. It's pretty much just preference. I'd agree that the Legend/Washington is a good starting point.
I agree. My first cob was a bent Legend. Had a Florida vacation for 21 days in '07 & decided to only take 1 pipe. Figured it would be a good opportunity to get "up close & personal" with my new Legend. Also only took 1 tobacco, a pouch full of Mac Baren's Plumcake. Enjoyed every night after a seafood dinner sitting on the patio or balcony of the motel, taking in the Florida sunset & having a great pipe!
Subsequently, bought a bent Washington, also fine.
Just this past Spring, I bought an Apple Diplomat & a 5th Ave Diplomat (both bent) -- magnificent pipes. The hardwood plug should add extra longevity.
I also rounded out that order by getting both a straight & a bent Missouri Pride. Cost wise, they were both just a pittance, but I've really been impressed with how they smoke.

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I agree. My first cob was a bent Legend. Had a Florida vacation for 21 days in '07 & decided to only take 1 pipe. Figured it would be a good opportunity to get "up close & personal" with my new Legend. Also only took 1 tobacco, a pouch full of Mac Baren's Plumcake. Enjoyed every night after a seafood dinner sitting on the patio or balcony of the motel, taking in the Florida sunset & having a great pipe!
Subsequently, bought a bent Washington, also fine.
Just this past Spring, I bought an Apple Diplomat & a 5th Ave Diplomat (both bent) -- magnificent pipes. The hardwood plug should add extra longevity.
I also rounded out that order by getting both a straight & a bent Missouri Pride. Cost wise, they were both just a pittance, but I've really been impressed with how they smoke.
Yeah, that's another great thing about cobs. Since they're so cheap, you can buy a bunch so they have time to dry between smokes or so you can dedicate them if desired.

Reactions: Bbailey324