Cosmic's Tribal Spigot

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I like to put "Cosmic" in the title to warn folks, not so much to just be a raging braggart, but besides my pipe club, there's really no where else I can show what I have been up to.

As you've seen with my Spigot Dog Post, I've been playing around with spigots. I guess being a jeweler, I am attracted to bands, tampers, and the metal aspect of pipe designs. This one is an Oldencott Corona dublin that I picked up in a pipe club trade in 2015, and I immediately took it to the studio and inlayed an opal and made a band for it with a small leaf.

I really liked shape of the dublin, very stiff, rigid... German, but when I added the leaf, it almost looked like a feather, and the rigid shape, color and grain of the briar, the leaf, and the stone, made it look tribal... Native American or Thailand, maybe Hilltribe. So, I always referred to it as my Tribal dublin.

tribal.jpg
This pic is from 2015, I may have even made a post about it.

Anyways, I broke the stem last year, and the stummel has been in a drawer. So, after making the spigot connection for my bulldog, I figured... one more redo.

tribal-1.jpg
I love the bowtie shape it gives the whole pipe, like it has been pinched.

tribal-2.jpg
The triangle design is actually a five pointed star, like an old West sheriff badge, draped over the cap... well, it is made to look draped. And, the recesses, have been textured and blackened for contrast. And, the stem is acrylic.

To me, it holds that "tribal" look, without having to appropriate anything. No Native designs, no arrow, no peace pipe aspect. Just textures, shapes, materials... Things that brings to mind conchos or Hilltribe designs, without it being one. And, going to International gem shows, one sees a lot of Native American and Hilltribe designs... as well as Australian...

tribal-4.jpg

tribal-3.jpg

The spigot connection has passed the sling test, and holds great.

tribal-5.jpg

Opals are really hard to photograph. This one is a crystal from an Australian boulder opal. I love the way it looks like a galaxy that has washed up onto a beach. The colors move and shift as you move the stone. It is all an illusion of light as it passes through layers of crystal with microscopic droplets of trapped water refracting the light into colors that change colors or patterns as it cools or is heated. The perfect stone to watch as you smoke and let you mind drift off into the cosmos...

tribal-6.jpg

Spigots... you can break them down while smoking, or carry your pipe separated to make it more easily fit into a pocket, less leverage to break... held compressed against the sterling of the cap and briar. Plus, they are fun to make for people who love to play with angles, the geometry of making a cone in sterling, and lots of metal to play with the design.

tribal-7.jpg

I can't remember why I chose to start smoking aromatics in this. It was a great smoker... not superb, but great. But, at this point the pipe has had so much vanilla, and lightly scented lakelands, that I will have to keep smoking aromatics or switch to Lakelands for this pipe... which means that I probably won't be smoking it a lot, but when I do, I'll have a great pipe for gazing with my early morning cup of coffee... my mind wondering around in the Smokie Mountains or the Hills of Thailand, or the boulders of Australia.

I am still recovering from my loss of voice, but I am feeling better. Hopefully, I can smoke it n the morning with a Christmas Even cup of coffee.

What do you think?

Didn’t Barling start as a silversmith? These adventures are fantastic, and show so much more style than your typical custom job, even with a factory stummel.
I think so…. I’m not the most informed when it comes to Old English, but Ian Walker was, as well as lesser known Skip Elliot. And, I’ve been told a few others that skip my mind at the moment. I know that Erik Nording was a metalsmith.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
???

I like the "solidity" of your silver work - rather than the 3microns thick "might as well not be there" token examples you frequently come across.

But then those pieces are made to be sold at certain price points, rathe than as a labour of love.

Last edited:

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Love the silver work on this piece. Always a fan of the spigot, this just looks awesome.

The opal is just as dazzling.

The only item about this I can’t seem to overlook is the placement of the opal. Or, actually, I can overlook. It is on the shank of a straight pipe and admiring the gem while smoking would be hard. I could ‘see’ the gem atop a wind cap on a bent pipe. Maybe different in person and am probably in the minority, just my thoughts on an overall great piece.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like to put "Cosmic" in the title to warn folks, not so much to just be a raging braggart, but besides my pipe club, there's really no where else I can show what I have been up to.

As you've seen with my Spigot Dog Post, I've been playing around with spigots. I guess being a jeweler, I am attracted to bands, tampers, and the metal aspect of pipe designs. This one is an Oldencott Corona dublin that I picked up in a pipe club trade in 2015, and I immediately took it to the studio and inlayed an opal and made a band for it with a small leaf.

I really liked shape of the dublin, very stiff, rigid... German, but when I added the leaf, it almost looked like a feather, and the rigid shape, color and grain of the briar, the leaf, and the stone, made it look tribal... Native American or Thailand, maybe Hilltribe. So, I always referred to it as my Tribal dublin.

View attachment 116598
This pic is from 2015, I may have even made a post about it.

Anyways, I broke the stem last year, and the stummel has been in a drawer. So, after making the spigot connection for my bulldog, I figured... one more redo.

View attachment 116599
I love the bowtie shape it gives the whole pipe, like it has been pinched.

View attachment 116600
The triangle design is actually a five pointed star, like an old West sheriff badge, draped over the cap... well, it is made to look draped. And, the recesses, have been textured and blackened for contrast. And, the stem is acrylic.

To me, it holds that "tribal" look, without having to appropriate anything. No Native designs, no arrow, no peace pipe aspect. Just textures, shapes, materials... Things that brings to mind conchos or Hilltribe designs, without it being one. And, going to International gem shows, one sees a lot of Native American and Hilltribe designs... as well as Australian...

View attachment 116601

View attachment 116602

The spigot connection has passed the sling test, and holds great.

View attachment 116603

Opals are really hard to photograph. This one is a crystal from an Australian boulder opal. I love the way it looks like a galaxy that has washed up onto a beach. The colors move and shift as you move the stone. It is all an illusion of light as it passes through layers of crystal with microscopic droplets of trapped water refracting the light into colors that change colors or patterns as it cools or is heated. The perfect stone to watch as you smoke and let you mind drift off into the cosmos...

View attachment 116609

Spigots... you can break them down while smoking, or carry your pipe separated to make it more easily fit into a pocket, less leverage to break... held compressed against the sterling of the cap and briar. Plus, they are fun to make for people who love to play with angles, the geometry of making a cone in sterling, and lots of metal to play with the design.

View attachment 116610

I can't remember why I chose to start smoking aromatics in this. It was a great smoker... not superb, but great. But, at this point the pipe has had so much vanilla, and lightly scented lakelands, that I will have to keep smoking aromatics or switch to Lakelands for this pipe... which means that I probably won't be smoking it a lot, but when I do, I'll have a great pipe for gazing with my early morning cup of coffee... my mind wondering around in the Smokie Mountains or the Hills of Thailand, or the boulders of Australia.

I am still recovering from my loss of voice, but I am feeling better. Hopefully, I can smoke it n the morning with a Christmas Even cup of coffee.

What do you think?
You have mad skills!