Country Squire's Middle Earth Series to be Renamed.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Here's some conjecture, since this seems to be the status quoe... The last three Cease and Desist letters that I got, I threw into the trash after a short phone call with my lawyer. When you get sued, the lawyer HAS to be on your State's Bar. If not, they can't do shit to you. They can't even file. Of course, the C&D letters that I got were complete bullshit anyways.
That’s why law firms engage local counsel when necessary

Reactions: Friendly Piper
That’s why law firms engage local counsel when necessary
Maybe... But, so far my lawyer has been right. When a company has their lawyer send a C&D, and the lawyer is not on my state's bar (or whatever the terminology is) then according to my lawyer, that C&D is worthless. If they had of used a local lawyer, then that lawyer's name would have been on the C&D. Hey, so far, I haven't been sued.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Maybe... But, so far my lawyer has been right. When a company has their lawyer send a C&D, and the lawyer is not on my state's bar (or whatever the terminology is) then according to my lawyer, that C&D is worthless. If they had of used a local lawyer, then that lawyer's name would have been on the C&D. Hey, so far, I haven't been sued.
A C&D letter is not a formal legal pleading or something that, generally speaking, carries any legal force at all.
It is an informal warning / demand. Thus it is irrelevant where the lawyer-author is licensed. It’s a very cheap way to attempt to get a result by demonstrating some level of seriousness. A C&D letter written by an attorney unlicensed in the appropriate jurisdiction is just as useful or useless, as the case may be, as one written by an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction. Many C&D letters are just bluff or based on BS, of course. If someone ignores a C&D letter from an out of state lawyer and that lawyer’s client wants to pursue a lawsuit, that would be done through local counsel licensed in that state as the client’s attorney of record when the lawsuit is filed in the appropriate court.

FWIW, I’m an attorney but not a litigator.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Dwarf is not in the LOTR books. Tolkien was a philologist and explained that the plrual of Dwarve was Dwarves not Dwarf and Dwarfs and despised those words as incorrect. He insisted it that Dwarve not be corrected to Dwarf or Dwarfs because it was wrong.
"Dwarf" is in LOTR - it's only the plural "Dwarves" that Tolkien used/invented.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have a drawer full of C&D form letters. I just pull one out whenever I need one, fill in the blanks and send it registered mail.

I also have a drawer full of “deny, deny, deny” form letters which are very nearly as useful.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while; did Country Squire ever rebrand the tobaccos? Is it Narnia themed now?

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
I have a drawer full of C&D form letters. I just pull one out whenever I need one, fill in the blanks and send it registered mail.

I also have a drawer full of “deny, deny, deny” form letters which are very nearly as useful.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while; did Country Squire ever rebrand the tobaccos? Is it Narnia themed now?
LOL. See post #156 in this thread. It’s now the “Fantasy South” series.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Kind of weird. The name "Toby" and the word "old" are not illegal to say. At least not in the country I live in.
I get what you’re saying, but the words “Star” and “Wars” aren’t illegal to say anywhere, either—but if you were to call your new blend “Star Wars tobacco,” you’d be looking at legal action, right?

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I get what you’re saying, but the words “Star” and “Wars” aren’t illegal to say anywhere, either—but if you were to call your new blend “Star Wars tobacco,” you’d be looking at legal action, right?
Not as long as you don't have an image of Luke or Han sitting on the wing of an X-Wing smoking a pipe on the tin.

Reactions: Friendly Piper