PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Where do I begin... 🤔

Something started to get me thinking of smoking cigars again, which has been a very long time.

Looking back, maybe my thoughts are more stereotypical, where Cubans are still King.

I’m certainly no cigar pro, but I have smoked quite a lot of them in the past.

I’ve only smoked two Cubans, Cohiba Robusto, and Montecristo #2

All these were from the other countries. Partagas, Padron, Punch, Macanudo, Fuente H. Upmann, Hoyo De Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana.

I definitely know that in Honduras, Nicaragua, even Jamaica and Mexico, there are some great cigars to be found.

But I want to explore more of Cubans again, that I never did in the past.

Costs, wow, absolutely crazy now, so that’s going to exclude a lot.

Punch is one that always sticks in my mind for starters.

What are these least expensive Cuban brands, that would still be decent, and possibly without being counterfeited?

Any reputable online sites selling Cubans by the stick?

Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Where do I begin... 🤔

Something started to get me thinking of smoking cigars again, which has been a very long time.

Looking back, maybe my thoughts are more stereotypical, where Cubans are still King.

All these were from the other countries. Partagas, Padron, Punch, Macanudo, Fuente H. Upmann, Hoyo De Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana.

I definitely know that in Honduras, Nicaragua, even Jamaica and Mexico, there are some great cigars to be found.

Costs, wow, absolutely crazy now, so that’s going to exclude a lot.

Punch is one that always sticks in my mind for starters.

What are these least expensive Cuban brands, that would still be decent, and possibly without being counterfeited?

Any reputable online sites selling Cubans by the stick?

Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my favorite cigars by country:
1. Nicaraguan
2. Honduran
3. Cuban
4. Dominican (can’t stand them)

It all comes down to taste.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It all comes down to taste.

Yes, this I understand and definitely agree, and there are great cigars from all these countries besides Cuba.

The point of the post is to find decent, inexpensive not counterfeit, and by the stick online for Cubans.

Thanks

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
IMHO, Cuba, as a general rule, makes the best cigars. They tend to have a richness and complexity like no others.

Outside the US, there are many sources for Cuban cigars, including on-line sources. but I'm not sure which ones sell to the US, if you live there. Additionally, rumor has it that some tobacconists in the States, especially in the larger cities, carry a stash of black market Cuban stogies and if you are a regular customer, whom they trust, they will sell them to you.:LOL:

Cohibas tend to be more expensive than most. For obvious reasons, machine made Cubans are cheaper than handmade cigars; although you tend to get what you pay for. Good luck.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Bolivar is the brand for me. They are excellent smokes in just about every size imaginable. There are many of us who do think Cubans are amazing, but they have major quality problems that they haven't been able to fix. I keep pointing out frequently to everyone that there isn't any "Best" in cigars. Cubans maybe yours and my favorite but they aren't everybody's.

Last edited:

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Where do I begin... 🤔

Top Cubans and Montefortuna are both good sites that sell singles if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

Honestly, don't waste your time. I went deep on a bunch of Cubans before the INSANE price hikes, and they weren't exactly cheap then. Now, they are just f**king ridiculous. Have I had some good Cubans? Sure. Are they significantly, qualitatively different from other cigars I can find more readily and at much lower prices?? No.

I smoke a ton of Honduran Punch London Club maduro, a 5x40 petit corona. They are very flavorful and super consistent, if you buy a box every single one will smoke perfectly. Cuban quality control is joke, it just doesn't exist. They roll cigars, put them in boxes, and could give a fook if not a single one of them smokes worth a damn.

But the tobacco, it's the best in the world, right? Because of the super-unique climate in Cuba that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world... right???? No, it's not. And even if it was the best, the BS QC would guarantee you'd never notice because 90% of their sticks are rock-hard and unsmokable.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My go-to cigar, three to five a day, is American made.

Your location says to me, GB so, why not head down to a tobacco shop and simply pick up a Cuban lor six you think you'll enjoy. If I want a few Cubans I simply drive into Canada. I have other methods of attaining them but, they're not for public discussion. I also feel Cubans have been highly overrated in the US because of the embargo.

otm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2020
Texas
I really enjoy Cubans, but wouldn’t pay the current retail price unless I was on vacation and they were something I was really looking forward to smoking.

I do think Cuban tobacco* is incredible, but Cuban manufacturing standards are inferior to most other cigar producing countries.

Tobacco and wine are similar. Some prefer new world to old world wine. It’s up to the consumer to make their own decision, but certainly none are better than the other. Certainly when so many incredible sticks are produced in Honduras, Nicaragua and the DR, in no particular order.

Reactions: PipeIT

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I really enjoy Cubans, but wouldn’t pay the current retail price unless I was on vacation and they were something I was really looking forward to smoking.

I do think Cuban tobacco* is incredible, but Cuban manufacturing standards are inferior to most other cigar producing countries.

Tobacco and wine are similar. Some prefer new world to old world wine. It’s up to the consumer to make their own decision, but certainly none are better than the other. Certainly when so many incredible sticks are produced in Honduras, Nicaragua and the DR, in no particular order.
Agreed that Cuban quality control is at best on a par with that of China, but when the cigar is on the mark, there is nothing finer than a Punch or Hoyo Double Corona or Partagas Lusitania.

otm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2020
Texas

Agreed that Cuban quality control is at best on a par with that of China, but when the cigar is on the mark, there is nothing finer than a Punch or Hoyo Double Corona or Partagas Lusitania.
I 100% agree and those are my two all time favorites. I’ve been sitting on a box of Double Coronas from 2018 that I just cracked into and are smoking like a dream.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I 100% agree and those are my two all time favorites. I’ve been sitting on a box of Double Coronas from 2018 that I just cracked into and are smoking like a dream.
Punch or HDM? When they are good they are very, very good!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m in Hawaii @warren

Everyone, I understand the Cuban cigar dynamics, with quality control, jacked up prices etc.

I was only hoping that maybe some Cuban brands were doing better is all.

For the moment I was only considering Cuban Punch.

Thanks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well, my gut is starting to tell me, look for Fuente Rosada Sun Grown 8-5-8. LOL 😆

I see a few places with them by the stick, and a few boxes. hmm 🤔

WCC has a single stick like $13.99, a bit pricey.

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Well, my gut is starting to tell me, look for Fuente Rosada Sun Grown 8-5-8. LOL 😆

I see a few places with them by the stick, and a few boxes. hmm 🤔

WCC has a single stick like $13.99, a bit pricey.

That's pretty pricey for what it is - almost twice MSRP.

As for Cuban tobacco, the QC was already a crapshoot, but I've had far more great cigars than plugged, underfilled, or otherwise poorly bunched. That's why I continued to buy them. To me, Cuban tobacco is the best cigar tobacco in the world.

Pick a brand or a couple of sticks and if you're willing to pay what they're asking, belly up. If not, there are a lot of great options from the other countries. Some of those cigars are as good as Cuban tobacco to me. They're different, but the quality of leaf just shines.

Reactions: PipeIT and otm

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Neptune seems to have some nice prices on non-cuban.

@pantsBoots Would you know if any of these other four 8-5-8 selling at Neptune are just as good as the Rosado?

I was thinking to try all of them except the Candela.

@otm Neptune has a big selection of Honduran Punch.

I think I’ll just stick to the non-cubans for now, especially after seeing the big selection of Punch they have, I was like wow... 😲

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123