PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Me too. Just leave a bit of room at the top for expansion. You know, I just recently opened a small tin of Crooner and I’m hoping I just got an odd duck. It’s not only very light on deer tongue but it’s not a true cube cut compared to several past Crooner purchases. Not happy.
D1B61315-4DC4-456E-A136-CDC4989CAC7A.jpeg

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Me too. Just leave a bit of room at the top for expansion. You know, I just recently opened a small tin of Crooner and I’m hoping I just got an odd duck. It’s not only very light on deer tongue but it’s not a true cube cut compared to several past Crooner purchases. Not happy.
View attachment 192841
Why not buy the bulk? That's unfortunate on the deer tongue and the cut.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Cube cut is great. Many of the old Codger blends are cube cut. Just scoop it in, tap it lightly, light it and enjoy the ride.
That’s interesting about the codger blends bc I’ve noticed my dad only ever fills his pipe by scooping in the bag or tin. He NEVER picks up a pinch & sprinkles/stuffs/loads his pipe. It’s like a functional ritual to him. In his world, there’s only way to fill a bowl. No finesse, and no worrying about how the bowl is packed. I kinda envy him. It takes me a couple things settled bf I light up. He’s striking a match & shaking his head at me. Lol.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I too am a big fan of cube cut! The wonderful codger blend, Sir Walter Raleigh (non-aromatic) was my first bowlful when I was a young kid many decades ago when I began this journey by sneaking some from my Dad’s big pound can of SWR. I believe the more symmetrical cut provides more surface area and more uniformity to the combustion. Every cube cut I have ever smoked has always seems to display a greater “sweetness” aspect to it, that I (rightly or wrongly) attribute to the even combustion.

Reactions: dctune
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
One of my favorite tobaccos is Delux Crumb Cut. The first puff was a game changer.

I think I'll try cube cutting flakes soon. I like the fold and stuff method, but have been tearing flakes lately like string cheese. I may need to pick up some shears to cube cut.
Pretty much any blade or scissors will work, as long as they’re not dull. 😎